Leprechaun 260DS
RV Length
Engine
Ford E450
TOW/TOAD
Ford Ranger 2021
Fulltimer
No
I am setting up my 2021 Ford Ranger to be a Toad for my 2021 Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS. For ease of install I’m planning on using magnetic tow lights, however as I’m also planning to install a trickle charger I see this might be an issue in connecting both to the RV wiring connector. Is it possible to have both a 4 pin and 7 pin connector coming off of my RV to deal with this or is there another way somebody has handled this need?

Welcome. I have no input on your question. I use a dolly for our Escape. I’m considering the Ranger in the future. I use the lights as well, I wired into the harness for the dolly lights.

I am setting up my 2021 Ford Ranger to be a Toad for my 2021 Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS. For ease of install I’m planning on using magnetic tow lights, however as I’m also planning to install a trickle charger I see this might be an issue in connecting both to the RV wiring connector. Is it possible to have both a 4 pin and 7 pin connector coming off of my RV to deal with this or is there another way somebody has handled this need?
A 7-pin will have the provision for a 12v charge wire (contact #4) , so you could handle it all with that and not worry about trying to combine the two.

The question this raises for me is what are you using for a toad brake system? Becuse most braking systems will activate your brake lights one way or another.

But to answer your question specifically, yes there are combo 4/7 set ups (OEM on my 17 F250) and of course, you could easily install one of each. Unnecessary, but possible.

Attachments

• 12D3C9CF-C1C3-4B46-8A92-B3B3C50D40E9.jpeg
    12D3C9CF-C1C3-4B46-8A92-B3B3C50D40E9.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 11
A 7-pin will have the provision for a 12v charge wire (contact #4) , so you could handle it all with that and not worry about trying to combine the two.

The question this raises for me is what are you using for a toad brake system? Becuse most braking systems will activate your brake lights one way or another.

But to answer your question specifically, yes there are combo 4/7 set ups (OEM on my 17 F250) and of course, you could easily install one of each. Unnecessary, but possible.
Thanks for that info. We decided on a brake buddy portable braking system (we also have a mini we plan to set up for towing so a portable seems to make sense). I’m going to test out the braking system and see if that functions the brake lights as you indicated. In that situation we’ll only be missing the turn signals in the rear.

Thanks for that info. We decided on a brake buddy portable braking system (we also have a mini we plan to set up for towing so a portable seems to make sense). I’m going to test out the braking system and see if that functions the brake lights as you indicated. In that situation we’ll only be missing the turn signals in the rear.
you’ll also be missing tail lights so night driving would be an issue. Most people run a round 7 set up between the vehicles to operate all lights and provide power for the toad battery.

I'm setting up a 2013 mini cooper as TOAD. I'm using the Roadmaster tail light kit with diodes, they work great, no extra lights. This kit uses a 7 pin at coach to a 6 pin on the TOAD. The 6 pin side has the light signals, 12 volt aux and the trailer brake wire. Research the light kit, if your interested I can help with the install. I'm going to use the RCibrake 3 portable SBS. It's trim, efficient, and has some interesting accessories. I have not decided how to connect the coach aux 12 volts yet but the RVi folks have a trickle charger that can be monitored from the cab. I'm still working on this. What kind of mini?

I installed everything on our Grand Cherokee. It wasn't difficult to install the Roadmaster tail light kit with diodes and then you're done. There might even be a video on line showing the installation on the Ranger.

Latest resources

Back