RV Year
RV Make
SportTrek
RV Model
ST282VRL
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ram 1500 3.0 Diesel
I have several questions. 1st. At some of the camp grounds I have seen people using the collapsible garden hoses. are these hoses suitable for drinking water ? 2nd any ideal what wind speed that the awning is rated for ? I lost one years ago due to a freak wind storm. And last I was told that I needed to turn off my water pump in my trailer whenever it wasn't being used. years ago I had a class A and if I remember right it came on when the water faucet was turned on. Thank You in advance!

Those collapsible hoses are ok IF they say "drinking water safe". That being said, I drank out of a green hose growing up, but had to let the water run to eliminate most of the taste...
Awnings have different wind speed requirements. In my manual it says 20 mph tops. Check with your manual or manufacturer.
If you are hooked up to the hose you shouldn't need the water pump, but if you have low pressure and water in your fresh tank you can run the pump to boost pressure. You will be drawing water from your tank doing that so you need to keep an eye on the water level and refill as required.

At some of the camp grounds I have seen people using the collapsible garden hoses. are these hoses suitable for drinking water ?
Some of them are. Some of them aren’t. ZeroG does make one that is drinking water safe. Most ZeroG hoses are black. The drinking water one is blue.
Teknor Apex-4006-25 Zero-G 1/2" X 25', Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1FB8WV/?tag=rvf01-20
2nd any ideal what wind speed that the awning is rated for ?
Varies by awning. I personally do not know what mine is, nor do I care. I am not measuring the wind speeds to see if it’s time to bring em in. If I the paper on my picnic table gets blown off, in they go.
And last I was told that I needed to turn off my water pump in my trailer whenever it wasn't being used. years ago I had a class A and if I remember right it came on when the water faucet was turned on.
It is good practice in my opinion to do so. Should a leak occur somewhere, your water pump is designed to come on when pressure in the line drops to a certain threshold. So if there is a leak and water is leaving the line in a place it’s not supposed to, your water pump is going to do it’s job and keep pumping water. Turning off water to the pump as well as turning off city water while away from the coach, if you’re connected to city water, will prevent this from occurring and keep damages minimal.
What you experienced in your class A is probably that your water pump always had power and would come on when you opened a faucet, pumping water through the line so long as the faucet were open. Should you turn off your water pump by cutting power to it, this would not happen as your water pump would have no source of power with which to pump.

I haven't found any particular benefit to the "flat" hose. Some may be drinking water safe, but IME, they are a pain to coil up for storage.

As for wind rating, I have my own rating scale; if there is ANY wind, my awning is in. I've seen too many sudden wind gusts on a basically still day to rely on the auto-retract.

TJ

I still use the white RV water hose for my fresh water hookup. In addition however .... I use a "Y" connector to attach a collapsable hose that I connect to the black tank rinse line. That keeps my fresh water hose separate from the sewer rinse line. I can't remember where it was but I have seen signs forbidding the use of collapsable hoses at some campgrounds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089Y4W6MN/?tag=rvf01-20

As mentioned above it is best to drink from a hose labeled "safe for drinking".

safewater from hose.jpg

Latest resources

Back