• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Severe Sway towing a vehicle

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We had a Demco, when loaded with our FWD VW Passat, it was rock steady. Sounds like the Coach is the issue.

I think the dolly has a max weight of 4800lbs. The Town & Country 4652 T&C weight is ballpark, not knowing your exact model. This is where I would look. You can up grade the sway bar on the coach that may help.

We used a dolly the first three years and had some sway but not bad. We hauled a Ford Escape 3500 lbs, it did take some getting use to but towed fine.

The T&C is a bit longer and heavier than most towed vehicles for what I see. I have seen several on tow dolly's over the years. I think you just need to get things set just right.

One more thing. What type breaks are on the dolly? Electric or surge break. If it is pushing you the breaks may need to be checked.

It is always tough to provide meaningful information when looking at very limited info. However, is the Dolly when hooked to RV level? Or is there a significant angle to the dolly. It is important that the dolly tows flat, no significant angle. Otherwise I believe the dolly will not track straight easily. 18” to top of ball

Thinking about our dolly, I'd go through the dolly to verify;

1. all fasteners are tight, nothing is bent,
2. if it has passive steer, ie SS model, verify end links are lubed, no excess movement, king pins are lubed, no excess play, wheel bears are serviceable, no play, steer dampener is serviceable
3. brake disks are not warped, brake pads are serviceable,
4. flush brake fluid, bleed brakes, insure brake surge feature operates as designed,
5. wheels are properly aligned per assembly manual.
6. Top of tow ball is at 18"

With all that verified, you can be assured it is not the dolly per se.

When loaded you might verify pin weight to insure load is properly balanced. Easy enough at a CAT scale.

Latest resources

Back