Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Gfs55

RVF Newbee
Brand new to this forum and rookies at RVing. We have a 34’ 5th wheel and I’m wondering what everyone does when the park and hook up their sewer. Do you leave the grey and black water tanks open all the time, or, do you close them and empty them as they get close to full? Thanks in advance.

The black definitely stays closed until you're ready to dump it. There are several schools of thought on the grey tank. Some keep it closed and dump it when it approaches full. Other leave it open until they need the grey water to flush the lines after dumping the black tank. More on this in a minute. I occasionally leave the grey tank open if I’m doing multiple loads of laundry and don’t want to forget about dumping the grey tank between loads.

When you dump your black tank, you want to dump your grey tank afterwards in order to get all the black waste out of the lines. You wouldn’t want to pack up the hoses without them being relatively clean. I typically dump my black tank in the morning. I make sure the grey tank is closed before taking a shower. After the shower I typically have sufficient grey water to dump after dumping the black tank.

I keep both closed until it either, needs to be dumped or packing up to go home and dumping both prior to leaving for the road.

But like flyboy stated, dump the black water first then use the gray tank to flush the sewer hose. Then, if you have a black water inlet clean out, hook a water hose < not your drinking one, to run and clean further with the black water valve open to drain out.

Good luck.

Welcome @Gfs55 - great to have you join the friendliest site for RVers. Welcome aboard.

I would not keep ANY valves open to the sewer system. You are inviting cockroaches, little nasty black flies and rodents into your tanks.

We keep the gray tank is open for most part, but I close it prior to dumping the black in hopes it will be nearly full before emptying the black - it's the "whoosh factor" at our house.

We keep the black tanks closed. And, so that solids don't directly contact the bottom of the tank, put 5 gallons of water back in the tank after emptying - along with (our favorite) "Happy Camper" organic sewer treatment. The sloshing also helps scrub the tank as you travel (we have a hose that fits the sink and so adds warm water). Many units have a wash system - sprayers to scrub the tank during/ after emptying which can be added aftermarket as well.

I might change my routine a bit if I couldn't screw my hose tight to the receiving tank. as, yrs, critters of one sort or another may not be as adverse to a "Stinky Slinky" as I am.

Seems like the black vave is closed but grey valve is loose will not open or close. When we turn on water the water is leaking thru the hot water heater.

For all our years of class A rving we have always left the black closed and the grey opened. Prior to dumping black we will close grey so we can use the grey to flush the line after dumping the black. Never had a bug problem, never had an odor problem. Works for us. To each his/her own.

Thanks for info. Black valve is closed but grey valve isnt working. Its loose and seems not attach properly. Its brand new travel trailer.

The black definitely stays closed until you're ready to dump it. There are several schools of thought on the grey tank. Some keep it closed and dump it when it approaches full. Other leave it open until they need the grey water to flush the lines after dumping the black tank. More on this in a minute. I occasionally leave the grey tank open if I’m doing multiple loads of laundry and don’t want to forget about dumping the grey tank between loads.

When you dump your black tank, you want to dump your grey tank afterwards in order to get all the black waste out of the lines. You wouldn’t want to pack up the hoses without them being relatively clean. I typically dump my black tank in the morning. I make sure the grey tank is closed before taking a shower. After the shower I typically have sufficient grey water to dump after dumping the black tank.
I will definitely try that!! After the grey valve is being fixed. Its loose and not able to close or open like the black valve.

Latest resources

Back