Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
As most of you know, I'm in the process of building an RV Park here in North Carolina. Today, while we were working on grading and laying out the sites, my wife asked me why the sewer hookups are on the side of the RV lot and not at the rear.

I'm assuming that it's because the gray/black water hookup on the RV is located on the middle/rear of the RV. But it seems to me that even a 45' Class A should be able to reach the septic hookup if it were at the rear of the lot instead of on the side. Power would be the same.

Has anyone ever seen (or visited) an RV Park where the hookups were at the rear of the site instead of on the side?

I have been in one place that had back-in Water and electric only, where the hookups were at the back. The last place I stayed had the water and electric at the back of the rig but on the driver side, while sewer was forward of mid-coach.

As most of you know, I'm in the process of building an RV Park here in North Carolina. Today, while we were working on grading and laying out the sites, my wife asked me why the sewer hookups are on the side of the RV lot and not at the rear.

I'm assuming that it's because the gray/black water hookup on the RV is located on the middle/rear of the RV. But it seems to me that even a 45' Class A should be able to reach the septic hookup if it were at the rear of the lot instead of on the side. Power would be the same.

Has anyone ever seen (or visited) an RV Park where the hookups were at the rear of the site instead of on the side?
Yes, and it's a problem. Some of us with Sanicon setups have a 21ft hose (at full extension) and take two feet of that for some just to get out of the wet bay. At another location where they were in the back and did not have a stop board they were concerned with people parking too close and the leveling jacks putting weight on the ground and breaking the underground plumbing. Making me have an extension or some using a backup system or not even being able to dump is going to be an issue. Highly recommend keeping it on the side and aligned just forward of the rear axle.

Sewer/electric/water hookups need to be at the mid-point of the RV site! Otherwise, as others have said, it is either inconvenient or impossible to make some of the connections.

Actually, the ideal RV site (IMHO) should have two sewer connections; one near the rear of the RV (on the side of the pad, not back) and one at the mid-point. I know of several parks with this arrangement and it accommodates both 5th wheel RVs/straight-pull trailers (which frequently have the sewer connection near the rear) and motorhomes which usually have their sewer connections amidships.

Water hoses and electric cords are much easier to stretch over long distances; sewer connections not so much. And, sewer connections depend on gravity for proper flow.

TJ

And if you want to increase your capacity by allowing buddy parking (side-by-side) consider wider pads and hookups on both sides. Or longer sites for longways parking which requires two connections. I've seen both.

A couple thoughts regarding hook up locations:

Seems to me for a motorcoach somewhere near the center is best. However I've been in some locations where the height of the power and sometimes water can be a concern regarding interference with the slide. Center location is not an issue if the power and water are either lower than my slide or far enough away from the parking "pad" so they will not interfere. Hookups at the rear of a site could have the same issue but have one additional issue which is a risk of damage when pulling into a pull through type site. This of course depends on the logistics of the road at the entrance to the campsite. Another issue with center hookup locations is when there are two sites next to each other as in a row of pull throughs that all face the same direction. In this case my neighbors hookups are almost always too close to our patio area. We have had cases where the neighbors sewer was inches from the provided picnic table. If there is large enough space between sites or if the pull through alternate the direction they pull in from this would not be a problem.

Since I'm a motorcoach person I have no experience with bumper pull or fifth wheel set up's but it seems I've seen some with hookups at the rear of the rig. Come to think of it I think I've seen a motorcoach or two with power hookups at the rear.

In any case, yes I've seen and camped at locations with hookups at the rear. I don't have sanicon and carry plenty of sewer hose, fresh water hose and power cord so it's not been a problem (so far) but for me I prefer hookups near mid coach as long as I don't have to have my neighbors sewer hookup in my patio.

One issue I've had with sewer hookups is when the sewer pipe is sticking up from the round a good bit and prevents a gravity flow that generally keeps the sewer hose from the coach empty. I understand that as long as the coach sewer hookup is higher than the in ground connection that the sewage will flow but when it's time to leave I prefer to not have a hose full of waste to drain.

I’ve found them in all locations, including at the front which was nothing short of stupid. Currently at a site where it is at the rear, needed our second hose for Sanicon. I agree with most that preferred location is mid-point of where the coach will park.

OK, got it.
  1. Sewer hookup in the rear. ?
  2. Sewer hookup mid ship. :)
  3. Sewer hookup mid ship and another toward the rear. ?
  4. Sewer hookup mid ship and another toward the rear AND both of them at the right height! :love:

Actually, Pensacola RV Park has 2 sewer hookups and the fifth-wheel next to me was the perfect example of why. He had two drain lines, one up front and one toward the mid/rear. Anyhow, for the minimal cost of installing two outlets a few connections on the same sewer line, I think it's a inexpensive perk to add.

Thank you, all.

Last edited:
I stayed at one park that had the sewer and water on one side (driver) and power on the passenger side. I don't know what they were thinking....

My trailer has two hook ups for sewer. One is mid trailer (black and bathroom grey), and one at the rear (kitchen grey). One hook up works for me, but it still needs to be on the side of the pad for ease of dumping. If one hose or the other is longer than 15' it gets to be an issue getting enough support for proper drainage pitch.

Latest resources

Back