Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

acnomad

RVF Regular
I would like to share the internet access from a Verizon Jetpack MiFi 8800L to a router. If anyone has successfully done this, please share any insights.

Welcome to RVForums @acnomad. What router are you wanting to connect your MiFi 8800 to?

I have two:
(1) TP-Link TL-WR841N (ethernet input only)
(2) Linksys WRT3200ACM (which has a USB 2.0/3.0 port in addition to the ethernet input, but I'm not certain that the USB supports the Jetpack)

I actually do not have the Jetpack yet - it's awaiting pickup at Best Buy.

I think your best bet would be flash the WRT3200ACM with DD-WRT. DD-WRT is a great firmware alternative for many consumer grade routers, and it does have support for the WRT3200ACM router. DD-WRT does support USB jetpacks/MiFis, although since I haven't used DD-WRT on this particular device, I cannot say for sure that it will work, but my guess would be that it will.

The MiFi 8800L can serve as a router broadcasting WiFi that you can connect to. If you want something else to share the MiFi's cellular Internet connection then it would have to connect to the MiFi 8800L via USB or WiFi directly.

If I recall correctly, DD-WRT will allow you to use the routers WiFi functionality so that you can bridge between the WiFi and the Ethernet ports. If the routers USB functionality doesn't work with DD-WRT, an alternative would be to use this bridging functionality. My son did this when he wanted to use his XBOX in his bedroom. The bedroom had no Ethernet ports and the XBOX did not have WiFi.

From what I understand, DD-WRT is Linux-based. I only have iOS and MacOS devices. That's a significant obstacle, isn't it?

The firmware may be Linux based, but any type of WiFi or Ethernet device can connect to the router.
And DD-WRT has a GUI so you will not be interfacing with Linux at all.

I just read up a little about DD-WRT and have a couple concerns:

I do not have an ethernet port on my MacBookPro, and understand that flashing via WiFi is risky. I do have a seldom-used USB to ethernet adapter cable.

If I make an error flashing the router (or if the USB-ethernet adapter proves to be inadequate in some way), will I permanently harm the router? Some of the literature speaks of clearing the NVRAM on the router with the reset button. Would that be sufficient to recover from a flawed flash attempt?

Usually when you are flashing a device, the device will verify the integrity of the new firmware before proceeding, so I don’t see the risk in the flashing process. I have flashed numerous devices over the years and have never bricked one.

To overcome the concern, I would recommend taking an old device that’s no longer used and become familiar with the process with it.

I’ve been a Mac person for years and I don’t think I’ve had an Ethernet port for awhile now. When needed, I use my USB/Ethernet adapter.

Not sure what other advice I can provide.

Latest resources

Back