• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question sharpening Knifes

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
My problem is sharpening the ceramic blade knives. They never come out good as the original edge.

Never tried to sharpen ceramic...what is involved?

Never tried to sharpen ceramic...what is involved?
I use the Work Sharp tool and knife sharpener with diamond belts for the ceramic knives. Nothing else will do it, but diamond sharpener.

I was under the impression not to sharpen ceramic knives. Use and replace. I've yet to need to replace.

I was under the impression not to sharpen ceramic knives. Use and replace. I've yet to need to replace.
Neal, that works, but I can not train my wife in 17 years not scrape the cutting board with the sharp edge of a knife ??.
So I keep sharpening knives.....

There is nothing like a quality steel blade unless working up a salad. We tried ceramic knifes I just don't like how thick they are. Maybe I got the wrong ones.

So what is the proper quality tools to sharpen;
pocket knives
hunting knives
pruning shears

My pruning shears are probably 20 years old and have never been sharpened, and boy to they need it.

So what is the proper quality tools to sharpen;
pocket knives
hunting knives
pruning shears

My pruning shears are probably 20 years old and have never been sharpened, and boy to they need it.
For knives of all sorts (except serrated), I have long used one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004WFU7/?tag=rvf01-20

Mine is old enough that it came in a nice wooden box.

And, a ceramic hone like this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YK1RAQ/?tag=rvf01-20

IME, pruning shears are a whole different ballgame. I sharpen mine with a fine stone chucked in my Dremel Mototool, using very light passes. Sometimes a bit of touching up with a fine file and/r a small diamond stone is required. I think the most important thing for pruning shears is keeping the blades clean and properly adjusted. Sharpness is important, but blades coated in sap don't cut well. I use fine steel wool (000) and a little WD-40 to clean the blades periodically. And, blades that leave a gap when they close on each other don't cut well either.

TJ

Thanks. TJ. Will check it out.

It is nice to have a sharpener handy. Currently I use a Smith's pocket sharpener to keep the edge fresh. Invariably, I need the blade sharper when out and about and not near my home sharpening tools.

Here is a nice option:

Or:

ADJUSTABLE ANGLE PULL-THRU KNIFE SHARPENER

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back