Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

VettePiper

RVF Newbee
Have a 2018 Passport Elite 27RB. Would like to know if anyone has changed out their A/C roof unit for a shorter version like the Penguin II. And would it be advisable to jump up to the 15000 btu version?
I need headroom is why I'm getting into this. Thanks!

I had a 24’ Phoenix Cruiser with a penguin II with a horizontal compressor (which allows the lower profile), and they failed just about annually (three of them) until I finally replaced it with a conventional AC unit. Also the two year warranty runs from the original coach purchase date, not the purchase date of the replacement so you can have a one-year old AC unit fail and not be covered under the manufacturers two year warranty. The final replacement was a few inches taller but was also trouble free from then on. It also cost less than $500. Just my .02 worth….

I had a 24’ Phoenix Cruiser with a penguin II with a horizontal compressor (which allows the lower profile), and they failed just about annually (three of them) until I finally replaced it with a conventional AC unit. Also the two year warranty runs from the original coach purchase date, not the purchase date of the replacement so you can have a one-year old AC unit fail and not be covered under the manufacturers two year warranty. The final replacement was a few inches taller but was also trouble free from then on. It also cost less than $500. Just my .02 worth….
WOW, This is so disappointing to hear - I really need the headroom for my shed. Thank you for your help.

Maybe they've improved them since then (2010-2015) but the opinion at the time was that horizontal compressors were much more susceptible to early failure. That would be a good question to research.

Maybe they've improved them since then (2010-2015) but the opinion at the time was that horizontal compressors were much more susceptible to early failure. That would be a good question to research.
Thanks a bunch, the people I talked to said warranty is 2 yrs from purchase and they were just as reliable as the others. Will do more research.

FWIW we have Coleman Mach 8+ units which, I believe, are just as low as the Penguins. Ours are 15k heat pumps and we've been very pleased with them.

Thanks a bunch, the people I talked to said warranty is 2 yrs from purchase and they were just as reliable as the others. Will do more research.
I would confirm the warranty issue and get it in writing, because they told me the warranty ran for two years from the purchase date of the original unit. Doesn’t make sense to me either and maybe they changed the policy or maybe the retailer was confused or dishonest. But thats what I was told at the time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back