• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Hunters Hut

Inactive Commercial Member
Shotguns & RV’s

1644546677464.png

In this months Guns Magazine there is an article on Shooting The Shorties, by Denny Hansen. It’s NOT what you think.

Some of my RV friends know I own a gun shop and ask me what is the best defensive weapon to carry in a motor home? This can be very subjective to say the least. My answer is always it depends!

Please remember that this article is not meant to be a hard and fast rule. This is just one of many opinions on the subject. There are hundreds of different RV’s out there and there will be hundreds of different kinds of self defense firearms chosen for the task.

One of the major break through s in the past couple of years has been the shorty shotguns. Mainly the Mossberg Shockwave, Remington 870 Tactical, and now Standard Co. is also making one.

Several years back BATF has approved the use of 14” barrel shotguns equipped with a birds head grip as a other firearm. The caveat is you must be 21 years of age to purchase a pistol grip firearm. It was Mossberg who started the shorty scene back in 2017. These shorty’s come in 12, 20, and even 410 gauge. Since the pandemic started, they have been mostly sold out due to the excessive demand. Just be aware you MUST pay attention to the firearms regulations of the state you are purchasing the weapon in. Then you must be aware of the firearm regulations of the states you are driving through and then camping in.

The normal capacity of a shorty 12 gauge is five shells plus one up the spout. Mossberg came out with the new 590S Shockwave. The S means it will shoot the shorty 1-3/4 in. shot gun shells. With use of the shorty’s you can get eight plus one up the spout.

So why am I touting a small shorty shotgun? First it is very concealable. It can fit in a bedroom drawer, inside a dinette booth bottom, or even on the floor of the closet of an RV. Many people are NOT comfortable with a hand gun for self defense. The shorty shotguns give you a lot of fire power in a smaller package.

One of the concerns I would have is penetration of a fired shot in an RV. The new shorty shells have less recoil, and less penetration of walls compared to regular buck shot or shot gun shells.

As with any firearm, practice is essential. Shooting these little shotguns can be anything but easy. You must practice with the firearm of choice you plan on defending your family with. Like any other firearm you will have to learn to load and unload. Putting the safety on, racking the slide, and finally firing the firearm.

Just an FYI a misconception of these shorty’s is to shoot from the hip. This is very hard to shoot accurately with this position. It is ok within spitting distance of the target. But when you get farther away it is hard to keep on target. Bringing the firearm up to eye level, at arms length, and using the front sight will give you much better results.

You may or may not feel comfortable having a firearm for self defense in your RV. Personally I believe in that old cliché it is better to have one and not need it, then to need it and not have one.

Travel safe.

JCP

Well said and sensible. I travel with a Moss 590A1 but thats 20”. I’ll take a look at the shorter version. Personally, Id go with my own custom version: 14.375 barrel S model for maneuverability in close quarters and a standard or speedfeed stock I can shoot from the shoulder. And Id add a tac light to the package.

I am of the opinion that the best gun for traveling in an RV is whatever firearm you can accurately and reliably place shots with. Whether it’s a shotgun, a revolver, a pistol or a .22 long - use the firearm that you are most comfortable with. If it’s not available, use the first one that is.

Well said and sensible. I travel with a Moss 590A1 but thats 20”. I’ll take a look at the shorter version. Personally, Id go with my own custom version: 14.375 barrel S model for maneuverability in close quarters and a standard or speedfeed stock I can shoot from the shoulder. And Id add a tac light to the package.
Yep Mossberg shotguns have been around for ages. One of the firearms that I use personally when it is O dark Thirty and have to outside and investigate trouble is a Mossy 930 SPX, 12 guage, with buckshot, Red laser sight, with 600 lumen light attached to the barrel. This is coming out of my sticks and bricks house. I also have a Remmington 870, SS, cut down with a custom pistol grip for storage in small tight spaces.

HH

I also travel with Mossberg 930 SPX with green laser. The 590S also comes in a model with built in laser, which makes it much more practical to shoot from the hip. Make sure you have very good grip on the gun. People have their fingers removed by the trigger guard. I have seen it in person.
But, have you considered the sound blast from a 12 gauge shotgun in the confined space of an RV? It is not like in the movies. You will have one hell of a shock. Me thinks :unsure:

My wife and I both have a CPL's here in Michigan and have carried for years. There are 6 handguns hidden in my home. My everyday carry is a .380 Bodyguard. I keep the .40's & .38 Specials at home. The .380 is very easy to carry and hide in our coach.
We can probably all agree on this - I hope to never have to use it.
Ken

This is a topic I rarely discuss on public forums but might I suggest you try to wake up in a dark RV, find your firearm of choice and get it on target. Practice is a useful task.

A shotgun in my RV, while a very effective tool, would be like maneuvering a broomstick in a closet. If you happen to be successful, then there is the mess to clean up.

My main reason we travel with a carry is when we go to town or on side trips. I will never walk into a shopping mall without a way to defend ourselves. If a hand gun is too easily accessible (especially at night), that's when bad things happen. Not interested in reenacting the OK Corral but we like the piece of mind.
Ken

I also travel with Mossberg 930 SPX with green laser. The 590S also comes in a model with built in laser, which makes it much more practical to shoot from the hip. Make sure you have very good grip on the gun. People have their fingers removed by the trigger guard. I have seen it in person.
But, have you considered the sound blast from a 12 gauge shotgun in the confined space of an RV? It is not like in the movies. You will have one hell of a shock. Me thinks :unsure:
You got that right, you bust a cap inside an RV, shotgun or handgun..... you are going to be completely deaf for a couple of minutes. That also goes for inside a residential house. I once popped a cap from a .410 Taurus Judge inside a 10 X 10 tent. Talk about deafening ........ Only good thing was the rattler never knew what hit him.

A little different subject. Sort of. I’m considering visiting Canada / BC. Is there someplace to rent a small lock up or suggestions. I’ve heard you really don’t want to cross the border with fire arms.

Latest resources

Back