RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutchstar 4369
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CRV
Since I have nothing else to do on our short Silver Springs vacation, I decided to investigate something that bothered me for a long time.
We had signs of water leak from the shower after we bought it, and took it to Newmar. They re-sealed the shower among other things. But the area below the mirror did not look right.
So today I dug in. Some of the wood was just dust. I can repair it, but not sure if I can take off the gray piece and how it is glued in there??
Something else to sleep on 🤔😂

6E49E972-1B6C-436A-8DF5-7BFFE315B906.jpeg

Zoiks!

I had a leak at the shower drain and caught it early. I highly recommend as a routine inspection pulling the bedroom furnace blower on the bedroom side of the shower (as shown above) and just peek in there with a flashlight.

53481B28-C160-4E95-8EC2-09A8ED678B0C.jpeg
Today I found time and courage between dental and doctors appointments to dig in deeper into the problem. Cut the grout at the threshold with my oscillating tool and removed it. Removed more damaged wood.
Now have to rebuild everything before we leave in June for MI. Newmar used the cheapest untreated particle board under the shower. Any moisture turns it into sponge and than into dust.

Newmar used the cheapest untreated particle board under the shower. Any moisture turns it into sponge and than into dust.

53481b28-c160-4e95-8ec2-09a8ed678b0c-jpeg.12152
Wow, Buly! That's terrible!

Even though that looks bad, it appears to be an easy fix... remove and replace with high quality (and sealed) hardwood. For me the only hardship is the small space to work in. I pray you have more room than I do in this area. And any voids not replaceable with wood, don't forget about your friend "Bondo"...Good luck 😉

Even though that looks bad, it appears to be an easy fix... remove and replace with high quality (and sealed) hardwood. For me the only hardship is the small space to work in. I pray you have more room than I do in this area. And any voids not replaceable with wood, don't forget about your friend "Bondo"...Good luck 😉
You are right. My face is on the floor most of the time :). I have plenty West System epoxy and fillers. Just takes patience.

This is where you really learn how they cut corners, scabbing together scraps and leaving voids rather than using whole pieces, not to mention sup-par matériels. I have a slide issue that developed because they pieced scraps together and an edge caught and peeled back aluminum on the runners that hold the brush material under the slides. What a mess! All to save a few inches or stock.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back