RV Model
Wildwood XL 253 RLXL
RV Length
25 ft or so
TOW/TOAD
Chev 2011 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ
Fulltimer
No
The question often arises about RV campsites and the wiring of power posts. In some instances they may have been wired incorrectly, some maintained incorrectly, and some just plain old worn out.

My solution is to obtain a 30 A to 15 A converter plug. I purchased mine from Lowes for $12.95. Then to this add a Receptacle tester for $5.68. By plugging the receptacle tester into the 30 A to 15 A converter plug, you can now correctly test the 30 A outlet on the post. The lights and code on the receptacle tester will show if the power post is wired correctly or is defective in some manner. The total cost is $18.63. Cheap insurance and assurance that things will be OK when you plug in your 30A power cord. Plus if for some reason you need the 30 A to 15 A converter, it will be in your toolbox. And EVERY toolbox should have a 15 A receptacle tester. All of this is much safer and less trouble than fumbling around with a voltmeter and wire leads and probes.

Sorry, I didn't find an economical solution for the 50 amp power post outlets.

Guess I have been lucky in the 30 + years into the rv world.. have never plugged into a bad pedestal in the whole time we have been out and about but I guess ya never know!! Driving a 38.8' DP now and have the built in protection that has never fail me.

Guess I have been lucky in the 30 + years into the rv world.. have never plugged into a bad pedestal in the whole time we have been out and about but I guess ya never know!! Driving a 38.8' DP now and have the built in protection that has never fail me.
I'd suppose you don't get into the smaller campgrounds that we've been into. Some of their 30A receptacles almost fall out of the box. In others, the receptacles have been hot-plugged and unplugged so many times the contacts are badly burnt.

I can belive it! And all it takes is someone/maintenance to do a quick inspection of the pedestal every so often to make sure the next rv doesn't have a problem!! Used to manage a small 14 site rv park with 50 and 30 amp service and would do inspections of pedestals and over all site to make sure it was ready for the next rv coming in. Customer service has been out the window for a long time now!!

Ive found several bad ones over the years and even repaired one so I could use it.

Great advice, Bob. I have a 30 to 15 amp adapter so that I can plug my RV into the house and charge my battery while it it parked. Before plugging in for the first time, I checked the outlet on the outside of the house with a tester. It was wired with reverse polarity! Never knew this over all the years I've lived here. So I fixed it before plugging in the RV. I'm guessing that my EMS surge protector would have caught it, but what a surprise it was. Now I'm going to get a 30 amp male to 15 amp female so I can check the power poles.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back