Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
My RV internet setup has been through numerous iterations starting out with having Newmar run an ethernet from the over driver's seat AV box to the dinette so I could put a mid-coach wifi router in (Netgear R9000) which also acted as a bridge (switch) to connect an ethernet to the bedroom wally box for Dish. At that time I was using a WiFi ranger and the wifi within that unit even in the AV box was sufficient but I wanted more network management control vs. the limited capabilities of the WiFi ranger AC unit. Over time the WiFi ranger found it's way into the garbage can and was peacefully removed from my life replaced with a superior Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 unit which I still use and love, along it's twin a MAX BR1 MINI sitting next to her. The mid-coach wifi evolved to a Netgear Orbi mesh system putting one under the dinette and another in the basement and running ethernet to the Victron GX for better Internet connectivity with that. That later evolved into the 2nd mesh antenna going on the back wall under the kitchen sink, no wait, it went to the back wall under the bed and then to the back wall behind the sink for patio signal.

The pepwave wifi was sufficient but I needed this ethernet bridge to get from dinette to bedroom so the Orbi remained...until yesterday. I've been having problems with WiFi shutting down since I've been broadcasting RVFORUMS.COM as my SSID for a year now and I think the Orbi and Pepwave WiFi networks being so close were hating each other. And when I rebooted the Pepwave the Orbi would go offline so I had to power cycle it. Yes, this was all an overcomplicated mess!

Realizing Orbi's have good resale as I recently bought more satellites for my house, they aren't cheap, I figured it's time to yank this thing and simplify my life and improve network reliability in my coach. I decided to use the Pepwave WiFi (2.4/5 GHz) exclusively but my front of roof mounted panorama 5-in-1 wasn't doing so great inside the coach. I installed the rabbit ears only on the WiFi side and left the cellular connections to the roof panorama antenna and my WiFi inside the coach dramatically improved. Literally 4 hours later after getting all the devices switched over (TV's, GPS, Alexas, Temp Sensors, Air Oasis, Air Fryer, computers, tablets, phone, weather station, oh my!!!!) and the network tweaked for my on board NAS (which required me to bring the Orbi back online to get its IP changed)...WAKE UP, I'm typing! You get it, it was complex, complicated etc.

Since you've read this far here is my synopsis. The roof mounted WiFi antenna isn't such a good idea when 99% of the Internet ops are inside. Even around the coach within 50ft if not more are still fine. Moral is, the pepwave rabbit ear antennas for WiFi are very powerful (of course the box itself is the power) and in the end worked out best. Now I do have a pair of Omni antennas on the roof mid coach that are begging me to test but I'm going to leave GREAT alone. For the first time!

Keep it simple is the lesson learned yet again! My first 24 hours of RV trips is always like this which is why I do an interim stop before my planned destination. Put stuff away, reconfigure, cleanup, etc.

I can help...
  1. BUY 1 PepWave BR1 MAX
  2. INSTALL in mid-bath cabinet
  3. Enjoy pizza and beer; inside, patio, or neighbor’s site

:giggle:

OMG, I didn't understand anything you said!
You have got to go back to school to keep up with Neal. His MH is a modern corporate office fit for 26 workstations. ?

Wow. I had no idea you had all that going on. When I started reading about multiple Orbi units I started thinking to myself, either Neal’s VentEssex is 75’ long or something is wrong.

Keep it simple. Simple works 95% of the time.

OMG, I didn't understand anything you said!

I agree. Was that French? :)

With everyone upgrading to all the fancy new gadgets .... does anyone want to sell any of the old stuff you are replacing? The old gadgets have to be better than what I have now which is nothing. I went to two different local RV service centers and tried to buy the new Winegard system but I couldn't get a date or price to install them. One guys said he would go check on a date but never came back to the counter. What a shame.

Agreed, the Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 installed in the RV also uses the WiFi blades. The external antenna is used only for the Cell Tower Data connection. The blade antenna appear to provide ample WiFi signal for inside the RV.

Agreed, the Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 installed in the RV also uses the WiFi blades. The external antenna is used only for the Cell Tower Data connection. The blade antenna appear to provide ample WiFi signal for inside the RV.
Relatively new to this forum. Have been waiting for some current posts regarding Pepwave products prior to posting.
We became full timers December, 2019. My objective was to have adequate services(s) to support my small home business & entertainment needs with a cost for monthly services in the range of what I was spending for cable internet & satellite service in my brick & mortar house. So far, I think I've come pretty close.... less monthly cost at least. Time will tell if my overall needs are met when traveling.
I began the research journey several months prior to actually becoming a full timer. I found that with an OTA antennae, a TABLO, SLING and ROKU's, I could have a better selection of entertainment options, at less monthly cost, than my monthly satellite subscription. As I already had a farily robust home network setup, this was fairly straight forward. For those still living is a brick & mortar home you can google 'cutting the cord' for a variety of ideas. My only regret is that I had not cut the cord earlier.
Fast forward to migrating my small business operation to the RV. One of my concerns centered around modified sine wave & pure sine wave VAC when powering digital devices off an inverter. There are mixed reviews on how well digital devices perform/hold up when powered by a modified sine wave power source. As I have an older DP coach, I upgraded to a 3000 watt Magnum pure sine wave inverter. I just did no want to take a chance.
Prior to going full time, I used my Verizon cellular service plan (tethering cellphone & Sierra Wireless in PC), along with whatever free WIFI I could find to support my need for internet service. It soon became apparent, I needed a setup that was a little more robust as a 'full timer'.
Trial and error (several products returned, thank you to the suppliers who guaranteed satisfaction), a lot of research & I settled on a Pepwave Max Transit CAT 18, with a GUDP AT&T data plan. The device, with the AT&T SIM, was installed the end of May without any issues. Activating a 2nd SIM card for this device over the Verizon network was a little frustrating. I knew going in the CAT 18 model had not yet been certified by Verizon, but, I did not expect the amount of difficulty I experienced.
To date, this unit has exceeded my expectations. Granted, COVID 19 & the civil unrest has kept us 'holed up' at nice RV park near Holden Beach, NC. Cellular signals from AT&T & Verizon are adequate & the RV park has better than average WIFI. Since the May installation, I have attempted to stress the unit, the cellular plans & the RV park WIFI by streaming HD media through the Pepwave device. Again, the unit has exceeded my expectations. The paddle antennas which came with the unit, generally, do a good job if positioned properly.
With all that said.............. I presently have a Poyntang 7-1 antennae on order & I'm trying to decide the 'best' place for installation. The antennae comes with 7 cables with lengths optimized for the antennae (around 6' - 7'). Due to my equipment configuration, I need access to both a 12 VDC & 120 VAC electrical source.
I'm inclined to mount the new antennae closest to my work area (the rear of the coach) where I can easily utilize the 2 Ethernet ports to expand the network within the RV. With this setup, my NAS & PC can be hardwired into the network. I perceive Ethernet connectivity to be better than WIFI connectivity over a local network. The other possible location would be mid point in the RV where I could connect the NAS with Ethernet, but, the PC would have a wireless connection. Running Ethernet cable is not something I want to do.
Several of you on this forum have been at this considerably longer than I have. I would appreciate your insights and suggestions.
Thank you.

IMG_4826.jpg
This is where we put ours. The wire was a easy drop into the windshield overhead storage units.

Latest resources

Back