Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TMAC16

RVF Newbee
Had a guest stay with us last night. This morning they exited the door and inadvertently hit the slide out switch. The switch stuck causing the slide to move in. We were still in bed. They didn't know what was happening and it scared the life out of me and my wife. The slide hit the recliner and damaged the inverter cabinet as well as the wall. Thankfully I was able to reverse the slide before more damage was done. Just want to let folks know this can happen.

I'm very curious what kind of unit you have? Personally, I've never owned an RV that anyone could "inadvertently" hit to operate the slides, and also I thought all slide switches were like ones I have had. I have always had to continue holding the switch for in or out operation or the slide would not move. How did it damage the inverter? Curious minds want to know.

Yes, knowing the type/year/make/model of your RV would help others with similar rigs avoid this problem.

Sorry for your problems; hope the damage can be repaired easily.

TJ

My old Kountry Star had slide switches like that. Press and go. But they were in a location that would take some serious weirdness to hit inadvertently.

Had a guest stay with us last night. This morning they exited the door and inadvertently hit the slide out switch. The switch stuck causing the slide to move in. We were still in bed. They didn't know what was happening and it scared the life out of me and my wife. The slide hit the recliner and damaged the inverter cabinet as well as the wall. Thankfully I was able to reverse the slide before more damage was done. Just want to let folks know this can happen.
We have to hold our slide out rocker switches down the entire time the slide is moving or it stops. Sounds like a really poor design in your camper.

I sure wish he would come back and tell us the rest of the story.

We have to hold our slide out rocker switches down the entire timThe switch stuck causing the slide to move in.e the slide is moving or it stops. Sounds like a really poor design in your camper.
In all fairness to the OP, he did say “The switch stuck causing the slide to move in.” I grant you that’s a bit odd, but switches can fail. Hopefully, he’ll come back and fill in some more detail. That would be especially useful for someone with a similar rig.

TJ

In all fairness to the OP, he did say “The switch stuck causing the slide to move in.” I grant you that’s a bit odd, but switches can fail. Hopefully, he’ll come back and fill in some more detail. That would be especially useful for someone with a similar rig.

TJ
I guess I missed that. Must be a rocker switch after all? I've never seen anything else!

My 2003 Newmar Kountry Star, electric slides, both slides you push the button and they either extend or retract until finished. I had a 2004 Cardinal 5th that had hydraulic slides and had to hold the slide button for either in or out. That being said the main slide in the living/kitchen you have to open the cabinet door over the entrance door and press the button and then a voice warns you. The bedroom button is located fairly close to the light switch and no warning so I could see accidently hitting it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back