Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Edciesielski

RVF Newbee
Hello....on my slideouts rubber seal at the top does not contact the roof (only in the center). It's too high by like 1/4 inch. I tried adjustments but it seems there is just a tiny sag in the center of the roof causing this...I am thinking about putting a piece of 1×4 pvc trim board across the whole length of the roof to raise it in that area when the slide is out - to create the seal. Any thoughts or other ideas?

Welcome to the forum. It might help us understand your issue and recommend a solution if we new what kind of unit you have, motorhome or travel trailer or fifth wheel or ?

If in fact the roof line is sagging that is a structural issue. But if the roof line has an intentional pitch to keep water from puddling then It will likely work. I would wonder if the slide lifts while moving out and the clearance is necessary. Remember first check with the manufacturer and see if this is common and they have a fix. Second remember what ever you do water flows downhill and you wouldn't want to put a stopper in the drain.

Check too to be sure that the slider is where the seal is made. I've seen before where the seal is made by a rubber gasket around the interior flange of the slide-out. The rubber "sweep" on top was to brush away debris (leaves, pine needles I presume) that accumulate on the slide-out roof and to offer some protection from windblown rain. My towable has similar 'squeegees" on three sides, but doesn't rely on them for a seal - either open or closed.

It may be worth pulling it up and looking beneath, between, and behind - especially if you intend drilling into the "roof" of the unit to secure the new trim. Also, perhaps consider adding to the "sweep" as this would help keep any debris on the roof from riding the retreating slide-out to the interior of the unit?

Latest resources

Back