Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bxd76

RVF Regular
Looking at our first travel trailer. Tow vehicle is rated to only 4,000 lbs, so I've decided I really want a trailer under 3,000 lbs dry weight.

MUST have a queen bed and 2 bunks.
Also a "real" 2 door fridge/freezer and at least a little counter space, as my wife likes to cook. (If any have a combination convection oven/microwave, let me know, she'd love to occasionally bake a sheet of cookies or brownies.)

Features I've seen that seem great, though are not a must-have: power awning, power jack, outdoor TV mount, solar, inside/outside bluetooth speakers. As close as possible to a full queen bed would be nice, the wife and I are both tall and not super skinny. Kids are tall too, not sure if some bunks are roomier than others.

Models on my list are:
Gulfstream SuperLite 19DS (how can they make a model with a slide, that is lighter than their non slide models at just 2802 lbs?)
Gulfstream SuperLite 198BH (2675 lbs - but it has a dorm fridge)
Gulfstream SuperLite 199DD (3100 lbs - pushing my weight target)
Forest River Wolf Pup 16BHS (3100 lbs - pushing my weight target)
Winnebago Micro Minnie 1700BH (think this one only comes with a dorm fridge; also really pushing my weight target at 3280 lbs)

What else is out there? Right now I'm leaning towards the SuperLite 19DS.

Price is flexible, I'm willing to spend more for a lighter/better quality unit especially if it retains value better, has better after sales support, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Brian

QB and two bunks and full size fridge and for a family rather than a couple or individual........you may want to look to getting a vehicle capable of towing weight to be able to open up your wish list. To me, your list is leaning to a 25 foot or better TT with a weight of 4500+ dry. That does not account for propane tanks filled and necessary gear that will have to be on the TT.

There may be some compromises here but it will be very few in my estimation. I wish you luck finding something that provides wiggle room but you may want to look to at least a half ton P/U for your use.

I have two brothers that after getting lite trailers thinking they would not have a problem towing with existing trucks. Withing a year both had encountered conditions where they upgraded the truck to follow their dreams.

A note:

Both upgraded the truck in less than a year to more than they needed. One upgraded the trailer to what they wanted, and the other is planning such a move.

Instead of looking at Max tow rating, look at the payload on said vehicle and count up all the weight that will be on the axles including trailer hitch weight & WDH?

Going that route, I have 1850 lbs to play with.

Assuming:
750 in people
200 in gear
160 in gasoline...
still leaves me 740 lbs for WDH and tongue weight.

The 19DS with a couple hundred pounds of stuff and 240 lbs of water gets me to 3240. Which is just 325 tongue. Leaving 400 lbs for a WDH. :)

Since my initial post I’ve looked at our summer schedule more closely and it looks like we won’t have as much time to travel as I originally hoped. We may just rent. A local RV center has the 2022 Gulf Stream SuperLites available for $125 a night plus a $150 one time setup / cleanup fee that includes all the little extras (insurance/WDH/second driver/etc). Think that would be a perfect way to get our feet wet, see how we like the trailer, how it pulls, and I don’t have to find storage.

That would be a great way to test the waters.

Looking at our first travel trailer. Tow vehicle is rated to only 4,000 lbs, so I've decided I really want a trailer under 3,000 lbs dry weight.

MUST have a queen bed and 2 bunks.
Also a "real" 2 door fridge/freezer and at least a little counter space, as my wife likes to cook. (If any have a combination convection oven/microwave, let me know, she'd love to occasionally bake a sheet of cookies or brownies.)

Features I've seen that seem great, though are not a must-have: power awning, power jack, outdoor TV mount, solar, inside/outside bluetooth speakers. As close as possible to a full queen bed would be nice, the wife and I are both tall and not super skinny. Kids are tall too, not sure if some bunks are roomier than others.

Models on my list are:
Gulfstream SuperLite 19DS (how can they make a model with a slide, that is lighter than their non slide models at just 2802 lbs?)
Gulfstream SuperLite 198BH (2675 lbs - but it has a dorm fridge)
Gulfstream SuperLite 199DD (3100 lbs - pushing my weight target)
Forest River Wolf Pup 16BHS (3100 lbs - pushing my weight target)
Winnebago Micro Minnie 1700BH (think this one only comes with a dorm fridge; also really pushing my weight target at 3280 lbs)

What else is out there? Right now I'm leaning towards the SuperLite 19DS.

Price is flexible, I'm willing to spend more for a lighter/better quality unit especially if it retains value better, has better after sales support, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Brian
Have you checked out the smaller Forest River Wolf Pup? I believe it weighs around 2900lbs

This one weighs just over 3k and sleeps 5
Screenshot_20210510-231942_Google.jpg

OP here.

We are on our first ever RV trip as I type this. I did rent the SuperLite 199DD, as the dealer has been excellent to work with. Neff Bros, just west of Cleveland OH.

We hooked up with WDH. Both vehicles sat very level.
We’ve wandered about 5 hours from home and will return tomorrow.

I’m fairly close to GCWR. About 90%. Comfortable on all other counts.

At 55 it pulls like a dream, very straight. At 60 it begins to wander a little - left and right. At 65 it seems to toss left and right at the smallest cross breeze or large vehicles around me. It’s not severe but a little uncomfortable. So I mostly keep around 60 in traffic and 65 in clean air.

I’ve never had to hit the electric brakes manually, never felt any sway.

For you experts and veterans: Do you feel the wandering feeling is mostly because it’s an 8 foot wide trailer behind a tow vehicle that’s only 76”? (Gulf Stream has other SuperLites that are 7 feet wide)

OR - is it more of a function of a single axle trailer propensity to wander a little? Unfortunately I don’t know anyone who makes a sub 3000 lb TT with bunks and dual axles.

I’m guessing it’s the single axle aspect.

Power wise - no issue. Have climbed some substantial hills in northern KY. Engine coolant has never budged at all. Trans temps have moved no more than 10 degrees. Engine oil has climbed about 15 degrees during the hardest climbs but that’s still way below dangerous - barely past 1/2 mark.

Honestly the wife hasn’t loved the camping experience as much as I have so we may just rent for a week once a year and leave it at that. She does it and enjoys it but taking a month to travel west isn’t her idea of a dream vacation. ;-)

Happy wife…..

Latest resources

Back