Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Small windshield spider crack - what to do?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

BuckyII

Enjoying retirement in Naples, FL.
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire 3341
RV Length
34’
TOW/TOAD
2016 Cadillac SRX
Just noticed this small crack on windshield and wondering what should I do?

My inclination is to wait until we are back in FL before filing a claim (another 75 days and 3,000 miles).

In the meantime, is it likely to grow into becoming a real problem? I have ceramic tint film on the inside of windshield...might that help prevent it growing?

If I wait, Should I notify Ins Co now about damage?

Thanks.

55FC6505-8136-4604-9563-2E74501091DD.jpeg

Sorry for the inconvenience of the windshield damage. It’s a little hard to determine the size of damage but a general rule is it can be filled if less than the size of a dime which should keep it from growing. Cost to have filled is minimal compared to replacement of windshield. Without filling it will definitely grow but as long as it doesn’t impede your vision you can wait to have it replaced when you get back to Florida.

I have had two replaced and drove several thousand miles as it continued to grow. Good luck and hopefully Safelite can fill it.

That's a fair-sized star crack and will certainly grow. As @NWIP suggested, you should see if it can be filled with epoxy (Glass Doctor, et al) before moving the coach. I suspect any movement will risk having it grow quickly. The cost is small (usually $50-$100) and many insurance companies will even pick up the cost.

We had a similar star crack filled on our 2014 Ventana LE and you really had to look hard to find it. It never grew in size for the remainder of the time we owned the coach.

TJ

I would call your insurance company now and they will likely send someone out to fill it and hope it doesn't grow but that's the first step. Typically it's free and I hope you have glass coverage on your insurance as I've mentioned on this site before, it's not typically included but if you're a FL resident it may be by default. You don't want to deal with a windshield replacement if you can avoid it, it's a major surgery that can have side effects!

Sorry for the inconvenience of the windshield damage. It’s a little hard to determine the size of damage but a general rule is it can be filled if less than the size of a dime which should keep it from growing. Cost to have filled is minimal compared to replacement of windshield. Without filling it will definitely grow but as long as it doesn’t impede your vision you can wait to have it replaced when you get back to Florida.

I have had two replaced and drove several thousand miles as it continued to grow. Good luck and hopefully Safelite can fill it.
Thanks Bill...

I called Safelite and have an appointment to have it filled while traveling to our next campground. Will post results after completion.

Gil

Thanks Neal & TJ...

Decided to call insurance (Good Sam/Natl General) and filed a claim...will wait to hear from adjuster. Agent said I can pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed. Depending on discussion with adjuster I may or may not cancel my Safelite appt.

Leveling is going to be the killer. If you can avoid using the jacks until it's filled it may buy you time. My windshield crack came out of nowhere. It appears to be a small ding that started it and the jacks did the number. When I raised my front shade one morning I had a non welcome surprise awaiting to the tune of a grand canyon on my glass!

I was told by Safelite if was smaller than a quarter then can be filled. They also said there was no guarantee that it wouldn't continue to crack and the windshield would need replacing but the success rate was in the upper 90%. Ours was done about 2000 miles ago and you can hardly see where the was and holding so far (knock on wood). We called the insurance company and they sent them out to the house to get it done.

Update...Safelite was unable to inject polymer into the crack, even with 3 tries. The insurance adjuster agreed the windshield needs to be replaced. She is contacting Newmar to add to the list for my previously scheduled appointment in September.

Newmar does great job with windshields. When in September is your appt, we will be there on 21st

Latest resources

Back