Chassis
Spartan K3
Engine
Cummins ISX12 (500HP)
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep GC Summit Reserve
Fulltimer
Yes
First off, I’d like to apologies for the long post, but I wanted to provide interested individuals with a good overview of what I’ve been working on.

For the past several years (we got our coach in Dec 2017) I’ve been developing a smart home capability for my Newmar couch and I’ve finally reached a point where I’m ready for a beta tester (besides my wife)!

My goal was to develop a capability that utilizes the modern technologies that we have become familiar with in smart homes. This system that I developed runs on a small footprint server (roughly 3”x4”) and connects to the RV-C network via the maintenance port or an available hub port. (I originally had the system in my RV plugged into the maintenance port, but now have it plugged into an available RV-C port that I found the cabinet above the driver). The system can be power via a 120V outlet (available in overhead cabinet), or via 12V DC.

Most of my effort to date has been focused on the RV-C network, but I have also integrated with the KIB network and can perform most any function that is available on the KIB panels themselves. Although, I’m in the process of developing a new HW module for interfacing with the KIB network.

Here’s a snapshot of the “Home” screen, which I customized based on what I have found to be important to me.

IMG_D4461C61FA17-1.jpeg

To give you a little but of an overview, the top row of buttons show the temperatures of each zone within the coach. I have color coded the temperature to show if it’s out of what I considered the normal range (to be configurable later). I have also set the background color to show me if the HVAC system is currently active for the zone. This provides me with a quick status of the temperatures and info on which HVAC units are currently running to cool or heat the coach. Clicking on the temperature brings up a graph that provides historical temperature information.

IMG_C7781574EA80-1.jpeg

The next section provides information on the water pump/tanks. I can click on the water pump icon button and it will toggle the pump on and off. This interaction is immediate and doesn’t require any email or FTP protocols. On the “water” page, I can also control the Oasis burners/AC, and open/close my waste tanks utilizing a separately developed capability.

The next section provides me with battery information. Voltages for both sets of batteries and whether the charge bridge is current active. Then I have the current charging state and how much current is being output by the charger. This information updates several times a second as I am reading data directly off of the RV-C network and the application updates at the same rate as the data is available.

We then have AC power information and then the lock status (with the ability to lock and unlock the entrance door and compartments). Also the ability to turn the burner on/off. The light buttons turn on/off all the lights just as you would when pressing the two KIB panel buttons simultaneously.

In addition to displaying all this data; allowing the user to turn things on and off; and graphing the historical data; I have integrated notifications (application based notifications and SMS) and automations.

My goal was to be keep informed when “things” happen. Right now I receive notifications when the doors are [un]locked, the power source changes, the generator starts, the engine starts, batteries are low, and many more. I find this to be useful for when my coach is in the shop, so that I know when they are actually working on it, as well when I’m away from the campground and the coach looses power. There are also many other use cases.

I have setup automations such when the coach starts to move, the water pump will automatically turn off. I even have an automation to turn off the pesky KIB panel backlight at night time and then turn the back on the morning. (I actually have the system setup to dim them at late evening, and then turn them completely off at bedtime).

I have tested out integration with Siri and Alexa. I haven’t finished this yet, as there is so much on my roadmap and only so much time to implement.

As many of you may know, remote access into the RV is not easily available as your coach typically has a private IP address from the campground or cell provider. The system connects up to a commercial cloud server via a secure tunnel and the the user/coach owner does the same. I was concerned with having the coach accessible via the Internet so I built in a means to limit access to the coach.

As I stated above, I have worked on this capability for nearly 2.5 years now and the capability has matured quite a bit, but there are still so many ideas that I have for additional capabilities.

So I’m at a point where I’d like for someone to give the capability a try. I’m located in Southern Maryland and would prefer a beta user that’s in the general area so that I can do the install and be available for in person updates and discussions. Given that I’m working on a update to the KIB interface capability, the testing would be limited to accessing the RV-C network, thus a Newmar Mountaine Aire on up.

If you’re interested and/or have any questions about this capability, please chime in.

I’m hoping that his capability will be helpful to the many of us that desire to have a smart RV / connected coach. I’m not yet sure what the path will be to get this out there, but I’ll get that figured out as things proceed.

Attachments

• IMG_C7781574EA80-1.jpeg
    IMG_C7781574EA80-1.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 22
I really like the look of the Home screen; lots of information in an easy-to-read format. Nice! Since I am the resident "dinosaur," I don't know how much other "smart home technology" I need. Time will tell.

TJ

I'm the type of person that likes to be informed ... perhaps to a fault. I get my morning USPS Informed Delivery email letting know what's being delivered that day, which is especially nice when I'm traveling. I like getting the immediate SMS notifications when there's a charge to my credit card. I have my security camera's set up to upload motion clips to my DropBox so that when I'm traveling I know whats going on at home (ie. a package was just delivered).

Thus, I want to know how my coach is doing whenever I want. And I want an immediate notification if something abnormal takes place. My goal is to build as many notifications (and automations) as I can think of. While many of the conditions may never occur, I want to know if they do. There's a lot of information on the RV-C network and its great to be able to take advantage of it. You just need to have an imagination and/or analytical mind to take advantage of it all.

That is really slick! You should make a business out of it smart enabling RV's.

Nice job on the app.

Nice work. I'd be happy to beta test. Please provide Mountain Aire BETA1

Unfortunately I am no longer in SoMD otherwise I’d be all over this. What a great job, really hope this becomes a product I can get

WOW! IMPRESSIVE!! GENIUS! Great job!
You could make a small fortune integrating this technology into Newmar caoches!
Better yet, license it to Winnebago Corp, and draw "royalties" for the rest of your life!

But too much technology for an ol codger like me! I still wrestle with trying to use my Samsung S7......!!;)

Nice work. I'd be happy to beta test. Please provide Mountain Aire BETA1

You know ... I was getting you mixed up with @Cinergi, who has a New Aire. Unfortunately, he's lives a bit too far for me to install and support as I work out any issues.

As for providing the Mountain Aire BETA coach, I'm sorry to say its beyond my development budget!

I've had loads of (mostly) fun developing this capability. And I have so many ideas of future capabilities. Retirement is great as you can spend time on those things that you truly enjoy. Of course, that's what work is suppose to be like too.

Great job!

I AM a techie and continually have to “defend” the benefits of having technology DONE RIGHT!

For those who fear, or resist technology...allow me to explain my point...

The reason you hate it, is because it is a bastardization; cluttered, complicated, and nothing but confusing operation. That’s NOT a benefit, and that’s exactly what we have right now.

On the other hand...IF...technology was done CORRECTLY, let me ask you this simple question: What’s easier, picking up a half dozen remotes, figuring out which one is which, then figuring out what mode, what input, what source, blah blah blah.
OR, a simple ONE button...or even better, a common sense VOICE request to “Watch Fox News”?

The other example is this: I’m tired of constantly trying to figure out what is what in terms of overlapping functions, panels, etc. I hate playing with the Dometic thermostat every hour to balance zones, hate constantly opening the OHC for the tanks and generator panels.

I would LOVE a common sense, properly done gathering point SUCH AS THIS, in order to at least consolidate all the various systems. You still have to have modules, motors, circuits, etc., but having a one point access that is simple would really benefit even the tech-challenged folks.

That’s my sales pitch. Hope I didn’t pull the thread to far off course.

Latest resources

Back