Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I had a nasty electrical short about two years ago in my OASIS with the smell of electrical something burning somewhere. There was also chat on the other site about inverter fires. Take some time to think about fire protection, escape plans (open your emergency window and know how it works), and fire DETECTION. I replaced the two smoke detectors in my Newmar with Nest Smoke Detectors and I added two in the basement. One over the inverter and one over the cord reel, two high risk areas.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XV1RCRY/?tag=rvf01-20

As to the inverter fire situation the best protection there is a way to cut off the electrical source which is the way to solve any electrical fire. As there is no cutoff between the battery bank and the inverter I added a cutoff switch. Very easy to do with one short length of battery cable and a cutoff switch.

I also have a half dozen bottles of Fire Gone. 4 in the house, 2 in the basement (1 in pegboard, 1 on the other side)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051TPJKG/?tag=rvf01-20

Be proactive.

nest-sd.png firegone.png

I installed 3 of these:Battery Operated Smoke Detector with Wire-Free Interconnect (3-pack)
one inside the coach, one between electrical bay and Oasis and one inside the s&b house.
If any one of them is triggered, all go off. To connect them, all you have to do is set the dip switches on each one, and you are done.
I have the same. One in the house, one on the rail near the inverter, one in the front hood over the generator. Adding one over the oasis and cord reel is good idea. I thought about maybe putting one in the engine compartment but figured it’d either melt or set off lots of false alarms.

Great for people who can hear. I am not buying another coach until they can offer strobe alarms which require to be hardwired as I have in the S&B. I have a workaround but it’s shoddy and requires me set it up and take it down each moving day.

Great for people who can hear. I am not buying another coach until they can offer strobe alarms which require to be hardwired as I have in the S&B. I have a workaround but it’s shoddy and requires me set it up and take it down each moving day.
I would think Newmar could and would add a special for that

Nest detectors do use light in combination with sound. I'm not sure if you'd wake up to it. But you get visual via green, yellow, red light rings as well as smartphone alerts.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back