Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

So you bought a New RV? Avoid these bad manner mistakes.....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

redbaron

Staff member
RVF Moderator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Many people are buying new RV's and have no idea that they are doing something wrong until they are told. This thread is here for you. I see this as a collection of generally rookie mistakes all the way to plain out disrespectful. I have been guilty of a few myself, as we all have.

To get things started, here is my initial list:

* When fueling your diesel motorhome and it burps diesel down the side of your RV -- DO NOT USE THE WINDOW SCRUBBER TO CLEAN IT. Either prepare ahead of time and use your own towels, or the towels provided. It's ok to use the bucket to get your rag wet, but not to dip diesel back in the bucket.

* When fueling in the truck lanes - be sure to pull all the way forward once done. Your TOAD should clear the pump and allow someone to walk behind the toad and the front of the next truck. Once parked there, you can then go into the store to buy your food, etc. Not while pumping fuel.

* When parked at a campground, having a porch light on while your away is ok. Having your external lights on all night is not ok. This is a nuisance for those that want to see dark skys and enjoy the stars.

* When you arrive at your campsite for the first time -- take it slow. Don't get stressed. The most mistakes I have seen happen while parking, where the pilot and co pilot are not communicating well. The louder you yell at each other, the large the crowds will be.

* Do not leave your awnings out when you leave camp. This is a good way to lose an awning. Winds will destroy these very quickly. Awnings should only be deployed when you are there to enjoy them -- and to ensure they are safe to use.

* Do not leave your black tank valve open. You should keep your gray tank shut most of the time as well, as having a healthy portion of gray water will help flush your hose when you do dump your black water. Most of the time you should have your black tank 85% - 100% full before flushing, as this will help remove any solids. Once you flush, add at least one toilet full of water back into the tank. I prefer several.

* do not dump your tanks in a public parking lot.

* Do not dump your black water anywhere except for a proper septic system

* DO not dump your gray water on the ground unless the area allows it and has sufficient drainage away from others.

* Pick up after your animals. It doesn't matter where you are, or how secluded it feels---pick up after your animals.

* Do not leave your dogs chained up to your RV outside when you leave. They bark until you come back

*Always keep your dog on a leash. It doesn't matter how well behaved your dog is, a leash is mandatory in most states, and courteous in all states. My dogs are on a leash, but if your dog approaches, my dog will eat your dog. -- Keep your dog on a leash.

1. Don't walk through occupied sites.
2. Don't let your motor idle for 30 minutes or longer especially early in the morning.
3. Observe quiet hours.

Shut off your engine at the office while checking in if you are near other campsites. I always shut mine off, some leave them running and it can be very rude to campsites near the office.

Many people are buying new RV's and have no idea that they are doing something wrong until they are told. This thread is here for you. I see this as a collection of generally rookie mistakes all the way to plain out disrespectful. I have been guilty of a few myself, as we all have.

To get things started, here is my initial list:

* When fueling your diesel motorhome and it burps diesel down the side of your RV -- DO NOT USE THE WINDOW SCRUBBER TO CLEAN IT. Either prepare ahead of time and use your own towels, or the towels provided. It's ok to use the bucket to get your rag wet, but not to dip diesel back in the bucket.

* When fueling in the truck lanes - be sure to pull all the way forward once done. Your TOAD should clear the pump and allow someone to walk behind the toad and the front of the next truck. Once parked there, you can then go into the store to buy your food, etc. Not while pumping fuel.

* When parked at a campground, having a porch light on while your away is ok. Having your external lights on all night is not ok. This is a nuisance for those that want to see dark skys and enjoy the stars.

* When you arrive at your campsite for the first time -- take it slow. Don't get stressed. The most mistakes I have seen happen while parking, where the pilot and co pilot are not communicating well. The louder you yell at each other, the large the crowds will be.

* Do not leave your awnings out when you leave camp. This is a good way to lose an awning. Winds will destroy these very quickly. Awnings should only be deployed when you are there to enjoy them -- and to ensure they are safe to use.

* Do not leave your black tank valve open. You should keep your gray tank shut most of the time as well, as having a healthy portion of gray water will help flush your hose when you do dump your black water. Most of the time you should have your black tank 85% - 100% full before flushing, as this will help remove any solids. Once you flush, add at least one toilet full of water back into the tank. I prefer several.

* do not dump your tanks in a public parking lot.

* Do not dump your black water anywhere except for a proper septic system

* DO not dump your gray water on the ground unless the area allows it and has sufficient drainage away from others.

* Pick up after your animals. It doesn't matter where you are, or how secluded it feels---pick up after your animals.

* Do not leave your dogs chained up to your RV outside when you leave. They bark until you come back

*Always keep your dog on a leash. It doesn't matter how well behaved your dog is, a leash is mandatory in most states, and courteous in all states. My dogs are on a leash, but if your dog approaches, my dog will eat your dog. -- Keep your dog on a leash.
Do not think that neighbors will approve of your loud outdoor tv or music selections?

* observe quiet time. All campsites have one. If you don't know when it is, then assume 10pm local to 8am local.
* quiet time means no engine idling, no outdoor tv, no campfire conversations, no fighting with your family, no yelling at the dog.

*campfires are for burning wood and marshmellows. NOT WATER BOTTLES and STYROFOAM PLATES
* fire pits are NOT TRASH CANS

Golf carts should be treated and driven slowly in the camp ground as if they were a car - not raced up and down the lanes, not blaring music to let everyone know you installed a new hot amp, not racing across empty sites, not attempting to “jump them” and not attempting to roll them.

Latest resources

Back