Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

vandeusen

RVF Regular
Hi guys so I recently purchased a 1994 Monaco Dynasty and in addition to the generator it has the inverter system in one of the side box compartments along with the heart interface inside upon climbing the top of the motorhome to inspect the roof I noticed that there was a solar panel my question is does that solar panel go to a charge controller somewhere like my off-grid cabin? Or does that solar panel go directly to the batteries? Or does it go directly to the inverter system. Thank you for any help in this matter

I doubt that Monaco installed a solar panel back in 1994 so I'd say one of the previous owners installed it at some point. That means that there is now way of knowing how it was hooked up or if it ever worked at all!! My advice would be to take it to a shop that is familiar with solar panels for RV's and ask them to check it over and get it working. It will save you a lot of time. They can also give you the run down on how it's hooked up and how to maintain it. Good luck!

It should go to a charge controller. Whether it does or not, is another question. If it's an old solar panel that doesn't have diodes and is connected directly to the batteries, it will drain them at night. Look around the rig and see if you can find a charge controller somewhere. Also look for wires connected to the batteries that might go to the solar.. You might need some test equipment to figure out if they go to the solar or not. If they're connected directly to the batteries, I'd disconnect them. One old solar panel, depending on its wattage, is not likely enough to do much more than keep the batteries topped up while the rig is not in use.

Latest resources

Back