RV Make
Alpinelite
RV Length
26'
TOW/TOAD
2016 Ram 1500
Fulltimer
Yes
So here is my story and I'm sticking to it.

This year has been interesting on the solar front for me. The amount of solar I have installed has gone up and down through the years. I started with one 230 watt panel many years ago. Then it went to 1150 a few years later. I kept that for about 5 years then had the option of 1600 watts. Truth be told I didn't really see any gaines with the 1600 over the 1150 I had before.

I sold off a few of the panels and settled in again on 460w, then 690w. I did notice the lack of power in that move but it did keep up. I sold that trailer and reinstalled the two 280watt panels on the fifth.

Then mid summer last season I distroyed one of those two panels and was down to 280 watts. If I kept the rv in full sun that was enough, but keeping the rv in full sun is quite an accomplishment in the forest. After a month I purchased 1000watts from San tan solar, these were used panels. I no longer had to worry about shade but I started talking to myself again and figured I should be able to run an instant pot on 1000 watts. Well reality was cooking with solar, as well as running fridge and standard stuff I could see a drop in voltage my batteries maintained by night fall.

This winter we found place for another 1000 watts of those used panels. Think about it 2000 of solar for just 400 dollars.

Moving forward to our real test today. Yesterday we were socked in with clouds the last half of the day. Then we pulled the instant pot out to make a cake this morning. The cake has been out of the pot for an hour so far. The controllers show only one is putting much into the system at under half of what it has in the past. MPPT on the one that is putting out is 67 volts and only pushing 180 watts into the system. What this means is hardly any of the power the instant pot used came out of the battery bank.

This new information is a joy to my heart because this means I should be able to run my A/C off solar for the better part of the summer days to come. YES!!!!!

24 volt system?

Latest resources

Back