Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DrunknIrish

RVF Newbee
Been reading the forums and have some questions. I want to verify I understand RV classes:
Class A is essentially a bus Largest
Class B is essentially a van with a built in camper Smallest
Class C is a truck/PU with a camper Mid-size

What is a "toad"?

In a Class A you need Diesel if you were towing a big trailer like a car hauler. Are there certain mountain passes/elevations you can't get to without a diesel or can gas get me anywhere?

If got other questions like new vs. used but I will put that rabbit hole in another thread.

Thx

Diesel engines usually have more torque than automotive gas engines, but the horsepower of both types can be comparable. Large diesel engines may make it possible to climb hills a bit faster but gas engines will get you up the same slopes. Diesels cost more to purchase and somewhat more to maintain.

With a smaller diesel you won't notice all that much of a difference compared to driving a large V-8. OTOH with a large block diesel (12-15 liters) the extra torque results in a very different driving experience IMO.

Toad = “towed” or a vehicle towed behind the motorhome.

Class C is actually larger then a B and can rival a small A. Both A's and C's have diesel and gas motors. The higher A's have "pusher" diesels meaning rear mounted engines. Puts the noise back away from the compartment.

Class C is actually larger then a B and can rival a small A. Both A's and C's have diesel and gas motors. The higher A's have "pusher" diesels meaning rear mounted engines. Puts the noise back away from the compartment.
Although they aren't all that common, there are also "Super C's" which essentially large "straight trucks."

A "sport deck" and a Toterhome are also classed as Class C.

Slide in Truck campers are a different classification even though they can be permanently mounted onto a truck chassis similar to a Class C but does not have direct access from the cab like a Class C.

I worked on a Toterhome the other day and he was miffed I called it a class C. ....

Want to have fun with people? Call their really expensive RV a "little camper". I used to mess with those Allegro Bus people by telling them "That's not a bus.... THIS is a bus". I had an Eagle 05 at the time. It was a bus.

I worked on a Toterhome the other day and he was miffed I called it a class C. ....
He is angry onaconna he had to spend money on his toter instead of his racecar.

Latest resources

Back