Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mikla90

RVF Newbee
Hi all. I hope it's the right section to post the question.

I have a 1989 Fiat Safariways with water damage on the back, in the bathroom precisely. I am at a good point in removing all the damaged wood. The question I have is... What to do after that? How do I fix the mess? The plan is to take it to someone competent to have it remake all the sealings after I've fixed it (it's protected from water). I "just" need to know how to proceed.

Attached is a pic of the bathroom (or what is left of it...)

Attachments

• 20210328_125220.jpg
    20210328_125220.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 19
I would join a few vintage RV sites and look how others repaired similar damage.

That said, I personally Remove and replace all signs of damage if I do anything at all. Why waste my time if I don't really get rid of the problem.

That's exactly my idea. I'm removing all the rotten wood and I want to replace it with new one. Question is how to fix it in position, which wood to use, what glue (if any) is necessary and so on...

The window should be removed and reseated. Most RVs use pine for the frame. I sandwich new studs where I have scabbed them together glued and screwed. I would put a stud in the corners so the new panels would have something to screw to.

The new panel should be glued in place. I would use my staple gun for this, you could use screws but they are harder to hide. Ripping strips from the paneling is the least expensive trim you can find, and what many manufacturers do.

One more thing! While you are working think of your project the way you might if you were making a violin. Strong and lite.

Oh, I use titebond 3 for everything of this nature.

We've discovered that just locating water damage doesn't actually provide the leak source and repairing water damaged areas won't stop leaks. That being said, what is the method of operation to determine the source of leaks? If you use a moisture meter and it tells you a wall is saturated, do you open that wall up even in the areas not actually showing signs of water damage? Isn't it best to figure out where all the leaks may be coming from, seal every penetration possible and then look for more water damage?

Latest resources

Back