Ford
Engine
460 TBI
TOW/TOAD
N/A
Fulltimer
No
Hi folks,
Just yesterday, my wife, youngest daughter and I set out to visit my oldest daughter in Portland Oregon leaving from northeast Kansas on I70. We were traveling in a 1995 Winnebago Brave that I recently bought for $9000. This RV is clean, fully operational, and runs great. Has 60,000 miles on it. At any rate, we made it to Hays, KS when a tractor trailer passed me doing about 70mph. The air turbulence from that passing rig ripped half the roof off my RV. It took me a bit to figure out what happened but the damage was extensive. When I got to a truck stop to survey the damage I felt a bit sick knowing I had no choice but turn around and slowly limp the thing home.
I called around today for some estimates on the repair and some were close to what I paid for the RV. I had one shop tell me they could install a rubber roof on the RV for much less money. I am new to the RV world, this being my first try at it and having everything go to complete crap. I am wondering what thoughts you folks may have on the subject. Should I scrap the thing? Suck it up and repair it? Go fiberglass roof or is rubber really better and cheaper? Any recommendations on a place that can repair it?
Any help is greatly appreciated?

Attachments

• 1789BFCF-142A-4843-BF95-43127BEDDD38.jpeg
    1789BFCF-142A-4843-BF95-43127BEDDD38.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • 69E7E695-7D13-4EC5-91F3-3BD45C6D39B3.jpeg
    69E7E695-7D13-4EC5-91F3-3BD45C6D39B3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 106
  • B515BBDC-5074-4AF2-A515-38D7761FF201.jpeg
    B515BBDC-5074-4AF2-A515-38D7761FF201.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
Sorry to hear of your situation. You may want to pursue the seller to help remedy the situation. Otherwise take the least expensive option to get things fixed up.

I appreciate your advice. Funny thing is that the previous had just sealed the roof before we bought it. But this gist of wind was not an ordinary gust of wind. It pushed my RV hard enough I had trouble staying in my lane. It was already windy to begin with and that semi just created a monster gust. It was just bad luck and an older RV. I don’t feel the seller bares any responsibility here.
I really don’t want to give up here though. I like this RV for some reason. Just exploring options.

Looks to me like you have extensive dry rot in the roof lament causing any adhesives to loose their holding power to the plywood. Probably from past A/C water intrusion. (Just a guess). To me, it looks more expensive to replace than you paid for the coach. I would go back to the seller for some kind of help. To late for a return I'm sure. Sorry, that really sucks.

So I’m guessing you don't have insurance that will cover this sort of damage. But that said, I think this is a job you can handle with a couple friends that have some construction skills. its a fairly big, involved job, and may become your new hobby for a while, but with some research and cheap labor from friends that really understand construction, you can fix this.

Obviously going to an RV repair shop is not the answer since, as you said, their estimates are going to be more than the RV is worth. As an example, a new fiberglass roof on a class A coach with no other damage starts around $12,000. Rubber would be a lot less. And there is nothing wrong with a rubber roof, as long as its installed properly over sound construction and good material. But the value of the coach definitely seems to restrick this to the DIY category of repair projects.

Ive seen a lot or rebuilds on the forums that looked overwhelming at the beginning, but came out just fine. The key to this one is going to be to strip it back far enough to remove all the rot and damage before you start rebuilding. Start with research on “RV roof rebuild” and similar searches and maybe some folks here can provide some links.

So my advise is to identify some folks in the trades that will help, maybe trade labor if you can, look for a good one piece rolled rubber roof replacement product, and make sure everything is reinstalled and sealed properly so you don't have this problem again.

As a bit of empathetic camaraderie and inspiration, I bought a 2016 DP with no awareness of the diesel emissions debacle. I was stranded by it at first, had it in several shops while the emissions warranty was still in effect, and during that time started up the learning curve. It became my unwanted, unplannned hobby, but now there is nothing it can throw at me that I cant handle and it will probably never leave me stranded again. Before all this I knew nothing about it and my only experience with after-treatment systems was dumping DEF into a trouble free Ford. The things we learn…..

Looks like it is styrofoam on top of 1/2" particle board, than door skin on top of the foam. The final Fiberglass skin has not been glued or secured at all to the door skin, so the gust just ripped it off?
I think :unsure:the easiest way is to remove and replace the door skin (or 1/4" plywood $$), and cover it with rubber coating?

As an aside, and maybe on the bright side, as you rebuild the roof you might be able to do some minor modifications on location of fhe various penetrations and make the roof more solar friendly, taking solar panel dimensions into consideration as you plan the reconstruction.

check out the pics on this link on Craigslist for some inspiration.

Last edited:
What does your insurance coverage provide? We have a $500 deductible and the remainder would be covered.

Thank you all for you thoughtful feedback. Unfortunately, I thought it wiser to save $50 a month on insurance by taking out liability only. I now see the errors of my ways. I was looking at this a cheap old car instead of home that is truly mobile. I had no intentions of ever wrecking it but I gave no thought to damage caused by other elements, like wind. Not a mistake I will repeat.
At any rate, I am considering taking the plunge and repairing it somehow. As luck has it, these winnebagos appear to be the most difficult to roof. But difficult is not impossible. I will consider making upgrades on the way as well. Looks like I am going to be keeping this rig for some time to come.

I think it is something that can be done. May take you some time but in the end it will be better than what you thought you had. Sorry you had the experienced the issue.

Report your progress and maybe we can assist or learn along the way.

Latest resources

Back