Thor
RV Model
Quantum RC25
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Fulltimer
No
While traveling in BFE I am always concearned about having a tire issue. My 2018 Thor Quantum did not come with a spare wheel as I was told it was basically dangerous to change and frowned upon by the manufacturer. I have the E450 Chassis and see where the tire used to be mounted and I now have plumbing in the way. I have found bumper mounts that will work for a spare and bottle jacks won't break the bank (yet).
I have AAA, tire warranty and vehicle insurance that all cover tire changes and repair. My fear is being stuck in the middle of nowhere with out cell signal and no spare. I have also heard nightmares of people having their rims destroyed by flats so the repair guy comes with a new tire but the rim is gone.
My questions are these: Do you guys have spare tires with your rigs? What do you use to jack them? Will leveling blocks support the jack in a pinch? Last, what the hell is the manufacturer doing with all our spare tires?

I always carried a spare on my 93 Dutchman 28' class A. I was lucky I never had to change a tire in the field. I carried mine on the roof in the back, I accessed it with a hand winch I rigged to the rear bumper. I used a 10,000 lb hydraulic jack and a 1/2 in. Dewalt impact driver for the lugs plus a four way w/ cheater pipe. I would not recommend you try it unless you are very fit as the wheels and tires are heavy and awkward. I now have a travel trailer that is super easy to change a tire.

This is going on a class C so the wheels are not that crazy. I am just really conceared on the middle of nowhere with no cell service. I can do a whole setup around $300. Tire, wheel, and jack. Thanks for the info.

Last, what the hell is the manufacturer doing with all our spare tires?
They order the chassis without the spare. And, even on a smaller Class C, changing a tire is something of of a dicey situation; not for the faint of heart...or body. :ROFLMAO:

TJ

I am not so worried about having a flat in bfe, more worried about a ruined rim or a ruined tire and having to purchase on the road. I am in the process of finding a tire and rim for a spare. My local tire guy said to order a rim on line and he would sell me a tire and mount it. We have a 31 class c. Our leveling jacks will lift the motor home off the ground far enough for me to place a jack stand and let the MH down on the stand. I would only attempt to change a tire myself if there was no other way...even if we had to wait hours for road service. Just my 02.my opinion, carry a spare.

There are the "spot" satellite messenger radios (Spot, Garmin, Zoleo) that can get help where there is no cell service and the cost is not terribly high. Once we were in the middle of nowhere and without cell service and needed to make a call. By hiking to the top of the mountain I got a 3G signal and could make the call. In other places I have been able to get RxRTT service which is all that is needed to communicate via text messaging.

I did end up putting together a spare. Thanks for all the advice. At first I was just going to buy a tire but I read about wheel issues. While not common I searched for the wheel from my coach and it took my 2 days to find the model number and that was with 2 dealerships helping me. It was $500. I in no way shape or form thought it would be that tough to locate but I now have the equipment. I found a rebuilt rim for $100 and mounted the tire on it in my garage. It is not balanced but basically designed as a 50 mile emergency spare.

While I understand the concern about damaging an expensive wheel by driving with a flat tire I was advised by a long time highway patrol officer to drive to an off ramp and get off the highway if I had a flat tire. Too many people are killed each year while they are changing a tire along the side of the road when an inattentive driver plows into the stopped vehicle.

I did end up putting together a spare. Thanks for all the advice. At first I was just going to buy a tire but I read about wheel issues. While not common I searched for the wheel from my coach and it took my 2 days to find the model number and that was with 2 dealerships helping me. It was $500. I in no way shape or form thought it would be that tough to locate but I now have the equipment. I found a rebuilt rim for $100 and mounted the tire on it in my garage. It is not balanced but basically designed as a 50 mile emergency spare.
Hi, how are you mounting your wheel/ tire to your rig? I bought a spare tire but don’t have a rim nor a mount. I don’t want to use the receiver hitch becuase I use it for bike racks so I need a way to attach it above the rear bumper. The cheap ones available online I heard won’t last too long. Thanks

I found a rebuilt rim for $100
Can you share with us where to find a rebuilt rim for the E450? I've been looking for a spare too. Ford wants over $600 for OEM spare for my 2021 chassis. I ordered one of the Chinese aftermarket rims for $100 and sent it back because it rubs on the caliper.

Latest resources

Back