Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Nomad_Haabs

RVF Regular
We have narrowed our fifth wheel down to 3..all with a gross weight between 16,500-16,800lbs, now for the truck...

We plan on getting a 3500 series but we can’t figure out if we NEED a DRW or if we would be fine with a SRW. I have talked to many who say single is fine, but when we do the math and add everything up, it seems we would be nearing the max payload on a single rear wheel truck. Are we missing something? We will be traveling all across the country and moving around as frequently as every 3 months.

Last edited:
Its a good question...
If you figure the pin weight at 25% of 16,800 GVW that number is 4,200. Then add all other items that you will require for towing, ie hitch and so on...you quickly exhaust the payload of a SRW truck. Then consider all the items that you will carry in the truck that will reduce your payload, wife, kids, dogs, food and so on. There is no question in my mind what your tow vehicle requirements are. A diesel power plant will have a greatly reduced payload compared to a gas engine.

If I were you I would go for the dually with the diesel engine. I pulled a 5th wheel with a pin weight of 2250 lbs with a 1 ton, non dually and it worked good but was getting to the limits of carry capacity. The dually has a much higher carry capacity. Also loved the engine brake on the Ram 3500, it worked great. Just my thoughts.

Dusky diesel would be my choice. Wouldn’t want to be close to max capacity and the diesel will pull much better without the sound of the pitons swapping cylinders like you would experience with a gas truck. I do own a gas truck but I don’t tow a fifth wheel or any loads near max capacity long distances.
Good luck with your choice!

On the GD website the solitude MBS-R for example, the UVW is 14,300 and the GVWR is 16,800 and the hitch weight is 2686. Is that hitch weight calculated for the gvwr, or the Uvw?

Most 5th wheels trailers are designed to carry 20-25% of the weight on the pin. So the math indicates from your numbers that the GD is figuring roughly 19% of the UVW, I'll go for that.
The forum members are trying to lead you towards a dually with a diesel, I would agree that this advice is sound for a trailer of that weight. Arguments against that just don't make since to me. I tow with a gas engine 2500 that is within rated payload and towing capability. There are many things that I have done to both the TV and the trailer to make the truck/trailer combo safer and a more comfortable pull. My trailer is rated to 10,300 but scales at 9040 fully loaded on the axles. The truck is rated at 9200 and weighs 8920 fully loaded, all weights are trip ready, full propane, fridge, 100 gals of fresh water, pin weight is 1380. If you do the math, total trailer weight is 10,420 or 120lbs over GVW.
Now consider this:
I removed the junk 4400lb Lippert axles, electric drum brakes, and pathetically small 15x6'' wheels and 225/75 15 Trailer King maypop tires. I fabricated a 8'' steel frame extension 6' long of 2x8'' rectangular steel and welded it to the I beam trailer frame on each side to carry the new axles. I had a pair of Dexter 7000lb Torflex torsion axles fabricated to fit my new 3500lb each 17x9'' wheels using new LT e range truck tires on 8 bolt wheels with 13'' vented disc brakes and hydraulic 4 piston Dexter calipers and a Dexter elec/hyd actuator. The hydraulic lines are all steel except for the 16'' of braided stainless steel flexible hose at each axle to allow for axle articulation. So at this point I don't feel over weight given that the trailer now has real axles, wheels, and brakes with a rating of 7000lbs each axle, or 14,000lbs. This did not however raise the rated GVW of the trailer. The tow vehicle has the same 17x9'' wheels, air bags, Bilstein shocks and steering damper. 8 gauge wire is run from the brake controller to the actuator through a custom umbilical cord. Given all these improvements I would not want to pull more trailer than I am pulling now and you are asking about pulling a trailer weighing 60% more that has very poor suspension and brakes and you are considering a SRW truck. I know, there are plenty out there that do use a SRW on trailers that heavy and say that there are no problems. Think about the one trip that has you on a 7% 10 mile down grade and when you get to the bottom and your brakes are now pretty hot as you try to maintain less than supersonic speeds, then an emergency braking/swerving incident arises that you now have to negotiate...Man that diesel dually is sounding pretty good isn't it? Jake brake and 4 rear wheels for stability may make the difference on that day.
Cheers

Attachments

• Brake conversion RS.JPG
    Brake conversion RS.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
One more comment for emphasis...When I bought this truck I owned a relatively light travel trailer and did not anticipate a 5th wheel. In hindsight, I would buy the biggest damn truck that I could afford. For me, that truck would be an F 450...

Try this site. If you going to order a new truck make the dealer put what he says the payload in the contract and you have the right to refuse the truck it doesn't match. If you buying one on the lot make sure you check the sticker on the truck you going to buy and not some website.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can NEVER have too much truck, but it is real easy to not have enough. When I first got my 38' fiver I had a 2500 truck that had 3500 suspension under it. It did OK towing, but by the end of the day I would feel wore out. I purchased a dually and the difference with the same trailer is this truck makes me enjoy going down the road towing! My recommendation is to get a bigger truck than what you think you need now because you will probably get a heavier trailer later on.

You really need to pay attention when buying your 3500 pickup. I sell Ram trucks for a living and depending on how you spec the truck (engine, trans, gear, cab type, length of bed, 2wd or 4wd, HO Cummins or Reg Cummins etc.) , the Towing Capacity can range from 16,660 lbs.to 31,210 lbs. on a DRW 3500. The 2wd SRW crew cab 3500's are rated at 17,200 or 4wd rated at 16,850 lbs. Short beds add an extra 100 lbs or so. These are 2018 figures straight from my 2018 Ram Pocket Guide for Towing and Payload. The chart is too small to post. The numbers are so small it's hard to read.

My advice? Get a DWR 3500 and pay extra for the Aisen transmission. They are almost bullet proof. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back