• Commercial/Vendors welcome

StarLink and Mobile Internet

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
In late 2019, SpaceX said they wanted to put up 40,000 of these satellites. And while I find the endeavor to be fascinating, I have trouble with humans adding that many satellites to the mess already up there. And we all know it's not going to end there. How long before there are 100's of thousands of satellites cluttering up the neighborhood?

It's a brave new world for sure.

Yes, SpaceX has some grand plans. As I recall the system will have world wide operational status with around 4,000 satellites. After that additional satellites are added based on demand.

Unlike many other satellites, SpaceLink satellites have the ability to de-orbit and self destruct. As I said earlier they are currently de-orbiting 10 StarLink satellites that are not performing. So while there will be a lot of StarLink satellites they should not constitute a space junk problem if they successfully de-orbit when not needed or can't be used.

Competition is going to want to do the same. Imagine all big cellular companies wanting their set of space balls.

Unlike many other satellites, SpaceLink satellites have the ability to de-orbit and self destruct. As I said earlier they are currently de-orbiting 10 StarLink satellites that are not performing. So while there will be a lot of StarLink satellites they should not constitute a space junk problem if they successfully de-orbit when not needed or can't be used.
Yep, the de-orbit functionality is fantastic and should be included in every satellite. But it's not just "space junk" that needs to be considered, it's space congestion. It's easier to visualize with an image.

LOL, it's kind of like being landlocked.
1580338601540.png

Yep, the de-orbit functionality is fantastic and should be included in every satellite. But it's not just "space junk" that needs to be considered, it's space congestion. It's easier to visualize with an image.

LOL, it's kind of like being landlocked.
View attachment 995

Right now it appears all 40,000 satellites will be all crowded into one orbit at 217 miles above the Earth which is one reason latency should be lower than using glass fiber. Client modems will be talking to a satellite only 200 to 300 miles away. Like Iridium these satellites are moving by very fast, so the modem will be constantly hooking up to multiple satellites as they pass by overhead.

It would probably be unwise for anyone else to try to fly a satellite in a 217 mile high orbit given this swarm.:) Each StarLink satellite has an ion engine, so in time they can be moved around including a de-orbit.

For all following this remember there is another satellite based system OneWeb going up right now. It appears to be behind SpaceX StarLink. OneWeb is putting up a 648 satellite constellation in a 750 mile orbit. So far only 6 satellites have been launched. The next launch of 32 satellites has been pushed back several times, currently scheduled "soon" by a Soyez rocket from Kazakhstan.

According to Musk, the StarLink satellites have a designed useful life of 5 years. This will allow updated satellites to replace older models relatively quickly. The reuse of the first stage of the Falcon 9 makes this replacement cycle economical. The satellites are also designed to completely burn up on deorbit, no hydrazine or other nasy rocket fuel or other bits dropping into a neighborhood near you. Musk has thought through most of the ramifications of the "Swarm" of satellites in orbit.

OneWeb just lunched 36 satellites with plans for 19 more launches through 2021 to biuld out the constellation.

Separately, SpaceX has announced plans to spin off StarLink to an IPO. Think I will buy some of that stock when issued.

Folks this is not vaporware anymore. For RV's, cellular is a dead man walking.

SpaceX set for launch on Sunday 10:30 a.m. 60 more satellites to go to space[emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s been delayed 24 hrs because of a valve issue.

For all following this remember there is another satellite based system OneWeb going up right now. It appears to be behind SpaceX StarLink. OneWeb is putting up a 648 satellite constellation in a 750 mile orbit. So far only 6 satellites have been launched. The next launch of 32 satellites has been pushed back several times, currently scheduled "soon" by a Soyez rocket from Kazakhstan.
Looks like the race is heating up. On February 6th, OneWeb put up another 34 satellites. OneWeb CEO Adrian Steckel says that if all goes as planned, OneWeb will have enough satellites in orbit to begin delivering limited commercial service later this year and global service by 2021.

Looks good for Falcon 9 launch at 10:05 ET today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest resources

Back