Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Today I drove from Custer's Gulch, SD to Fort Collins, CO and much of the drive was across wide open nowhere in Wyoming. Gorgeous but scary in the same, what if something happened? I was not on Interstate for the first half of the 5 hour journey and did pay attention to cellular coverage and it seemed I was always with some level of coverage with my pepwaves. I do carry a Garmin inReach for emergencies for when I don't have cellular coverage but it occurred to me Starlink could be a vital piece of equipment for RVers to have. If I had an issue with no cellular I could quickly and easily setup Starlink. Unless stuck under some obstruction chances are it's going to give me connectivity and wi-fi calling or messaging. I also hear a lot about traveling to Alaska or in Canada with no cellular and Starlink again may be the answer to this problem. It is expensive at $135/month and while you can use it in motion I don't. I have no intention of leaving this dishy on the roof as I consider it fragile. Hail could destroy it quickly I believe.

I'm not ready to do anything with my cellular setup or plans other than probably losing my AT&T prepaid as my Mobley + Verizon is sufficient. I don't see ever disconnecting those. I do see doing like Dish and suspending Starlink unless I know I'm going to need it. What I don't know is if it's suspended and you need it can you activate it without an Internet connection? So you may need to have it activated when going on trips to sparse areas to have for emergency use. Otherwise if you can bring it online from suspended without some other Internet source then it's good to buy it and stow it if the $135/mo is not for you.

I arrived at Fort Collins, CO today and cellular was troublesome. I expected to leave Starlink stowed until I head into the Rockies on the 22nd. After rebooting both cellular (AT&T and Verizon) they both came up strong, Verizon being the stronger here but I threw Starlink on the roof thinking I would be needing it and that may still be the case. Starlink has been very reliable to date for my use since Oshkosh, WI and west bound. I highly recommend getting it for those that care to have reliable Internet wherever you may be.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back