• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Stress cracks

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Sounds like a structural defect (I know, not what you want to hear) and you can fix the fiberglass, get a fairly close paint match, but the crack will likely reapear. I’d say its a question for the manufacturer - see if there is a factory fix. They’ll probably say this is the first they’ve ever heard of such a thing, but if its a construction deficiency, there have probably been others. Can you post some pics?

Check the warranty on the structure. Some units have up to a 10 year structural warranty. If you have that, then the fun begins...

Sounds like a structural defect (I know, not what you want to hear) and you can fix the fiberglass, get a fairly close paint match, but the crack will likely reapear. I’d say its a question for the manufacturer - see if there is a factory fix. They’ll probably say this is the first they’ve ever heard of such a thing, but if its a construction deficiency, there have probably been others. Can you post some pics?
I was hoping more people have had this problem and could say if the manufacturer had a recall. I checked my warranty and it says 2 yr from purchase date.

It is a common issue across all manufacturers. When they cut the hole in the fiberglass for the slide they usually cut rectangular corners. The 90 defgree angle at the corner creates a stress point and as the unit moves down the highway a crack can appear starting at that corner. The solution is to use rounded corners instead of square corners.

It is a common issue across all manufacturers. When they cut the hole in the fiberglass for the slide they usually cut rectangular corners. The 90 defgree angle at the corner creates a stress point and as the unit moves down the highway a crack can appear starting at that corner. The solution is to use rounded corners instead of square corners.
And the manufacturer should stand good for it

I had the same thing in a 2000 36ft 5th wheel Gulfstream. I got a crack about 5” line from the corner. I got no help so I fixed it myself.

I ground down the crack area and the area around the crack. I bought an 1/8th” aluminum plate and roughed up both sides. The plate as like 2ftx2ft and went all the way to the front cap. I classed the crack and used the fiberglass resin on the back of the plate. And placed the plate on the fiberglass side. Applied pressure until cured. I then drill counter sink holes in the plate and screwed counter sink screw through the plate to the trailer frame. Then used fiberglass bonds to cover the screws. Painted and striped. Looked like it was suppose to be there. Never had a problem afterwards.

It is a common problem, but! The square corner is???? I say that because my 73' silver liner had a round top door that had a stress Crack along the large roughly 1ft radius.

I would guess the frame is not as strongly built as it should be.
If you reinforce the wall, don't forget to drill a hole at the end of the Crack to keep it from traveling.

Latest resources

Back