Chassis
Ford F-53, 26,000GVWR
Engine
Ford V-10
TOW/TOAD
2017 Gmc Terrain & 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR-2
Fulltimer
No
Some great suggestions! As most of you have diesel coaches, and have addressed many great options, I would like to address the "GAS" side of the equation!
The most common issue folks seem to have with Gas coaches are suspension & ride related. The other is "engine noise".

Current Chassis:
1) Offer a rear "Trac bar" assembly as an option. This would significantly reduce the sway that some folks encounter in high winds or passing 18 wheelers.
2) Offer a steering stabilizer such as the "Saf-T-Plus" as an option. This helps eliminate the constant steering input and provides an auto centering feature, and slightly increases steering resistance to eliminate the over correction issue some drivers face.
3) Offer an "Air bag" option to enhance the ride quality. This would soften the suspension, thus giving a better ride quality.
4) Offer an electric air compressor option for "airing" tires, or other needs.
5) Offer a "TPMS" system. This should become "Standard Equipment" on all Coaches.
6) Prewire to the 7 way connection, or have available, a "hot wire" to connect to the "toad" battery charger.
7) Make "Standard" or offer the option of an additional "sound deadening/noise abatement package.
8) Offer the exterior mirrors, such as on a Dutch Star, as an option. The current mirrors are located such that one must take their eyes off the road to look at the mirrors. This to me is a MUST, as a SAFETY feature! Side note: Can't yet get use to them, after the mirror location on the Mountain Aire.
9) "Sumo" springs could be offered as an additional ride enhancement to. Front, Rear, or Both.
10) Make available some of the "Interior" options mentioned above!

Future Chassis:
Coordinate with Ford to improve the FRONT SUSPENSION of the Gas chassis. This is the single largest Negative to a Gas Chassis Coach!
Variable rate front springs could add a substantial improvement in ride quality, without a total redesign of the chassis. These style & type springs have been used on different manufacture pick-ups for years. It is proven they enhance ride quality, yet are able to accept the additional loads when necessary, without significant negative impact on ride quality.
Again, "air bags" as an additional option, also would enhance ride quality.

On a personal note, I have made most of these recommended changes to my 2020 Canyon Star, with significant improvements in ride quality and handling. During the 770 mile trek back to Virginia, through the mountains of I-77, I-64, I-81, & back to I-64, I felt little, if any, sway from the winds in Indiana & Ohio, little movement from passing vehicles, and very little noticeable lean or roll through the mountains. The next project is "noise abatement" from the engine compartment, which will be addressed and hopefully remedied, as soon as I can get the "dog house" removed!;)

Latest resources

Back