Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

HD Al

RVF Newbee
New to RVing and I was originally leaning toward a Super C and pulling a trailer with two motorcycles. I was leaning that way due to the safety, drivability, and maintenance of a Super C. I am starting to question that decision and wondering if I should really consider a Class A Toy Hauler, gas, diesel pusher or F.R.E.D.? My concern all along was the ease of maintenance. I just got out of boating for that reason. Finding a technician that is willing to crawl around in tight spaces to do repairs is becoming hard to find in my area and don't want to relive that all over again, but not having to pull a trailer would be a definite plus. I have research the Thor and Newmar lines. As I am new to this I'm trying to keep my budget in the 250K to 300K range. I'm headed to the Springfield RV Show next weekend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I pull a 14x8.5 box trailer with my Class A. It pulls like a dream, I barely even know it’s there. The 8.5 width is exactly the same as the width of the MH, so nothing sticks out to hide objects in the mirror and the trailer is perfectly visible.
Two road bikes and equipment give me a 370lb tongue weight ad about 3500lb overall weight, well within the limits of my hitch.
Sometimes, there is a little bit of “finesse” in getting it all in place in camps, but we manage with minimal aggravation.
I do wish that we had purchased the taller trailer…

Attachments

• FFBFACDD-0CBC-4B8D-987F-6FD63851DAC7.jpeg
    FFBFACDD-0CBC-4B8D-987F-6FD63851DAC7.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 7
We went through the same process over the past few years, deciding between a class a or super c for our retirement coach. We ended up with a Newmar SuperStar with a towing capacity of 20k.

We do lose the engine area out of the living space but the floor plan is good for us.

I do a lot of things myself for maintenance so that figured into the equation as well.

After spending a day helping a friend troubleshoot an alternator problem while in a campground on their class a, our decision was made. Laying across rubber mats over their batteries and crawling in to get to the alternator was not fun. Not something I want to do when I’m in my 70s.

We went super c and that was one of the reasons. I can pop the hood and change the alternator, or other things on the engine, having it all right there.

We also like having a chassis that is easier to find shops that will work on it. Anecdotal from our perspective, and just based on what we have read, But should be easier to find a shop to work on the M2 chassis on the road if we need to.

The overall ride is usually an issue as well. Class A has air ride in most, if not all, diesel pushers. Super C is just the rear and straight axel front with normal suspension. Newmar helped this by putting the cab on an air ride - helps the overall comfort immensely.

Not to start a debate on the safety factor but we like having the extra in front of us rather than just the front of the coach.

Plus, to us, Super Cs just look cool 😎

Just my thoughts.

We are transitioning from a class A (Ventana) to a Super Star. We only have a few nights and about 1300 miles experience with the Super Star but so far very happy we made the switch. Looking forward to Tuesday when we leave for for a 6 week trip!

Safe travels.

We went through the same process over the past few years, deciding between a class a or super c for our retirement coach. We ended up with a Newmar SuperStar with a towing capacity of 20k.

We do lose the engine area out of the living space but the floor plan is good for us.

I do a lot of things myself for maintenance so that figured into the equation as well.

After spending a day helping a friend troubleshoot an alternator problem while in a campground on their class a, our decision was made. Laying across rubber mats over their batteries and crawling in to get to the alternator was not fun. Not something I want to do when I’m in my 70s.

We went super c and that was one of the reasons. I can pop the hood and change the alternator, or other things on the engine, having it all right there.

We also like having a chassis that is easier to find shops that will work on it. Anecdotal from our perspective, and just based on what we have read, But should be easier to find a shop to work on the M2 chassis on the road if we need to.

The overall ride is usually an issue as well. Class A has air ride in most, if not all, diesel pushers. Super C is just the rear and straight axel front with normal suspension. Newmar helped this by putting the cab on an air ride - helps the overall comfort immensely.

Not to start a debate on the safety factor but we like having the extra in front of us rather than just the front of the coach.

Plus, to us, Super Cs just look cool 😎

Just my thoughts.

As a SuperC owner, this ^^^ is a good summary of why we have a SuperC.

For us the key benefits that swayed us to SuperC:
- Easier service (recently changed both fuel filters on engine, so easy to get to access)
- More places for service on chassis/engine
- Safety/impact zone on front

Downside:
- Turning radius (longer wheel base as the front wheels are further forward)
- Loss of storage under the coach (but we still have plenty + we have the trailer)
- Loss of space inside due to the engine being out front

Edit:
Ohh, and yes, SuperC does look cool

Yes, I forgot to mention the turning radius.

On the Newmar specifically the wheelbase of ours is 24 1/2 feet. Makes it ride like it is on rails on the highway but turns do take planning. Nothing to shy away from but takes a bit to get used to initially. I took a couple routes with the salesman and had it down with test drives enough to be comfortable.

If I was to try a u turn I would need most of the highway I think 😀

The other thing the long wheelbase helps with is tail swing - ours is pretty much negligible. The shorter wheelbase models, and even class As may have significant tail swing that needs planned for as well.

Newmar also sets up the last two compartments as full pass through which really helps. One even has a pull out drawer for ease of access to items. Coming from a class c, for us, we have storage galore now.

Latest resources

Back