RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40"
TOW/TOAD
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fulltimer
No
My 2021 Ventana has a built in surge protector. Does this suffice, or do any of you also get a protector that you use at the power source?

I still use an external at the power post. I already had one plus I’d rather replace it should there be an issue.

After my external Progressive EMS took a lightning hit and arched back to the post and left burn marks on the back of the Progressive EMS case and on the pedestal and the plug was welded into the socket I decided I would rather that event take place outside my RV's electrical compartment and not next to the fuse panel. The Progressive worked as advertised and protect my RV from damage and Progressive replace the unit.

I looked into this topic when I was ordering mine. I was curious about what would happen to the ATS function if the integrated surge protector fried, and how that would get repaired. I’m pasting below the response I received directly from Newmar.

“The Surge Guard ATS guards against low voltage, high voltage, non-60 Hertz line frequency and power surges. The transfer switch will disengage power if it detects incoming power to be outside of operating range. It will also disconnect power if it absorbs a power surge (transient voltage) above its surge rating, such as from a lighting strike. A power surge that exceeds the switch rating will require the control board to be replaced in order to make the switch operational again.”

Based on that, I chose to stick with the standard ATS.

I use one at the pedestal in hopes of being first line of defense of the cord reel and internals. This also gives me lights that tells me if the pedestal is wired properly. Cheap insurance and great visuals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015Y9A4HU/?tag=rvf01-20

surge.png

Another note here: My transfer switch has a "Surge Guard" sticker on it and I wanted to see what it was rated for and found that even with the "Surge Gaurd" name on the unit it has ZERO protection and was JUST a transfer switch. I called Newmar and they confirmed that the standard transfer switch wasn't a surge protector and its was an upgrade (2017) to get one with protection. I suggest you get the model number off the protector and google it.

Last edited:
I purchased a surge protector (hard wired version) prior to our factory pickup and Newmar wouldn't install it.

Not much I can add to what the folks above have said except, perhaps, that hardwiring a surge suppressor into the coach has the same issues as when damage occurs to the optional, built-in surge suppressor. It isn't quick and/or easy to repair/replace.

Like others have said, I want my surge suppressor as close to the power pedestal as possible and easily replaceable if it does its job of protecting the coach from a surge.

TJ

Some folks think the external surge protectors are prone to theft, or at least that was what several "experienced" forum folks related to me when we purchased our first RV about 10 years ago. Over the years I spent the money to have them hardwired in a couple RVs. However, I never actually talked to anyone who had an external one stolen, so now I strictly use the external. IMHO it is safer plus cheaper since you can move it from RV to RV.

As others have mentioned, our theory regarding external surge protectors, our RV has a built in surge protector and I use an external surge protector as well. My reasoning is that if the surge protector takes a hit, it acts like a fuse and stops current completely. You can not reset it, The external unit needs to be removed (unplugged) before current will flow.
Rather than having a built in unit take the hit, which will need to be sourced and replaced (requiring tools and skill), which will take resources and time (both in limited supply when camping). An external unit only needs to be removed from the circuit (unplugged) for current to flow.
In one or two days you can have another external unit at your doorstep and your RV is still protected by the built in unit until the new external arrives.

Latest resources

Back