Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Hollywood1

RVF Newbee
We recently purchased a thor 38mb. I have never been so disappointed and upset. We had to take it back the week after we got it for numrous repairs.. then we headed out for our first long trip. You can not drive it down the road due to swaying and to much play in the steering. This is just one of many issues we have encountered in the 2 months we have had it. We had ac issues. Mini blinds in garage fall off the wall. Front bunk out of alignment. Left blinker camera stopped working. It is so upsetting to spend so much money and have constant problems. I see from comments on the forum we are not the only ones. The handling issue must be fixed. Does anyone have a 38mb that can give possible solution. Thanks

We have a 28Z. Steering stabilizer, new front and rear stabilizer bars and shocks are in the future.

We have a 2015 ACE 27.1 so far in the 5 yrs of ownership we have put sumo springs up front along with bigger road master sway bar, new tires, alignment at a heavy truck center with a caster kit, and it’s in the shop getting a trac bar installed and that’s just for the driveabillity. We tow a 2017 Lincoln MKX so I’m hoping the tractor bar helps with crosswinds and sway.

Been working on the same issues with a Thor Coleman 23CM class C So its with small and large motorhomes alike. So far aligned front end at ford dealer over 200 bucks as per Thors instruction, waist of money dealer and print out from alignment machine shows' it was aligned perfectly. No idea why Thor ask us to throw money at a brand new RV. Next moved all weight possible to front end. Front trailer hitch, tire carrier and spare tire/wheel all bought separately after RV purchase. All tools and safe jacks moved behind pass seat. Nothing heavy behind rear axel. Dropped air pressure from 80 to 75 psi front tires. We can now drive it 60 mph no wind no problem. Interstate 70 mph with big trucks better stay focused and drive that thing. 70 mph big trucks and wind ! no way pull over and wait for wind to drop below 5mph. Not sure what to do next. Every manufacturer I talk to has a solution if you give them money but no guarantee. Nobody really has a clue how to solve the side to side swaying. In my little humble opinion its way to much weight and to top heavy for the chassis. This will be my last rv on anything less than a F650 chassis. Probably will be my last rv period.

The new shocks and sway bars made a great improvement. Doesn't handle like a sports car but much better that it was. Trucks don't blow us around passing like they used to.

Today I had the Safety Stabilizer put on the front of my 2012 19 ft Chateau by Thor because of the swaying, Boy did that help so much. I ordered it from Amazon. Just thought mite help someone else

It costs a little money, but these changes will make an 80%-90% improvement in handling!
1) Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer; helps prevent wander in the steering.
2)Ultra-Trac rear trac bar; will eliminate about 90% of the sway & rear end movement. As well as lean.
3) KONI shocks; which will improve the up/down movements in the suspension, providing a better ride. And will help with the lean.

These changes made a huge improvement in my 2020, & is the second coach, to which I've made these changes.

Jabber Jaw - We did the same thing but went with Roadmaster front and rear stabilizers and Bilstein shocks. Made a world of difference.

In my opinion and experience, driving past 62-65 mph using a Ford Chassis is ill-advised.
The front becomes unloaded due to wind resistance and the front end tends to float.
I have spent $10s of thousands modifying the suspension of my F53 chassis. It rides wonderfully, and predictably at 65 mph and below now, but unload the front end with excessive speed and it is a handful.

In my opinion and experience, driving past 62-65 mph using a Ford Chassis is ill-advised.
The front becomes unloaded due to wind resistance and the front end tends to float.
I have spent $10s of thousands modifying the suspension of my F53 chassis. It rides wonderfully, and predictably at 65 mph and below now, but unload the front end with excessive speed and it is a handful.
What did you do to yours? Any advice on what works and what doesn’t?

Latest resources

Back