Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert T-Mobile False Advertising - FRAUD!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
This is the stuff that makes my blood boil! Why aren't companies prosecuted and fined for false advertising like this? We all remember the Verizon commercials and their coverage map vs. others, people believe Verizon is the best for that. My travels did not prove that to be true (only speaking for me). I have been seeing commercials lately from T-Mobile showing their 5G coverage comparing to Verizon. Anyone that uses or used T-Mobile knows this is a complete FRAUD. Their service is so scarce and their ability to even build out 5G broader than Verizon or AT&T in itself is pure fraud. Here are the maps from the T-Mobile web site as I was looking for what I was shown on recent commercials.

tmobile-5g.jpg
tmobile-att.jpg
tmobile-vzw.jpg

Verizon map shows me able to get wonderful signal here at home. I get nothing.
TMobile map showed me getting wonderful signal here at home, I got nothing.

ATT is the only thing I can get here.

As a full timer, I have yet to grasp the advantage of the current 5G offerings by any carrier unless you are in a densely populated metropolitan area.
All of the carriers miss-represent their offerings to some degree.

Verizon map shows me able to get wonderful signal here at home. I get nothing.
TMobile map showed me getting wonderful signal here at home, I got nothing.

ATT is the only thing I can get here.
We spend a lot of time in the river bottom in Colorado. Cell phone reception is spotty at best. If you are lower than the surrounding area it seems all carriers are the same.

Tell us how you REALLY feel, Neal! :p

You caused me to seek out a few studies that, of course, aren’t biased by any of the carriers; let alone be THEIR claim. I have my own suspicions, but wanted to look at some other sources. Not sure who to agree with.

But, you and I'd have to agree along with everyone else, that NO ONE CARRIER does the best job for everybody in every place.

However, I think that you and I both get hung up on "marketing terms"...which really bugs me too. I just looked at T-Mobile's page and...yeah...they're claiming the "fastest, widest, and most reliable 5G". Hmmm. I think that while they could be accused of a bit of marketing deception, not sure it's not outright "FRAUD", but I'm no lawyer, and I totally get what you're saying. Heck, a lot of times, I feel that turning 5G OFF works better. How's that happen?

I just read the SUPER FINE print under their webpage, and saw this note:
"Most reliable according to umlaut. Fastest according to Opensignal Awards—USA: 5G User Experience Report July 2021. Capable device required; coverage not available in some areas."

OOoooo UMLAUT...what is dis? Interesting page filled with studies and reports! Ha. And they're the fastest according to OPENSIGNAL. Me thinks much more things to read for us!!

Anyways, man...I found nothing but article after study after report that T-Mobile is blowing the others out of the water! So, maybe the fact is...you are absolutely in the worst possible areas for T-Mobile coverage. So, WHO ACTUALLY can disprove these studies and claims???

All I'm talking about is the COVERAGE MAP. The pink shaded coverage. It's B.S.! I'm not talking about fastest when connected to a network, I'm not talking about comparison to any other speeds, I'm talking about COVERAGE. Of the 3, IMHO, T-Mobile has the worst coverage and the pink shaded map is beyond bogus.

I wonder how each carrier’s definition of “5G” compares? Is T-Mobile taking editorial license with the definition thus using part of what we typically know as 4G being rebranded as 5G?

Charting and mapping are also areas where editorial license takes place. These super high level maps are based on what geographies? Counties? If county, then if TM had ANY coverage in that county they might map the entire county as covered in this nationwide summary - but then compare that map to what V or A displays where they use a methodology that may require full coverage.
In all, TM is setting themselves up for the same mistake Sprint made over a decade ago-setting expectations too high and customers are severely disappointed.
That is not easy to recover from.

I hear ya @Neal. Just a word of advice and not to make this political, but maybe don’t look into how congressional districts are drawn.

There’s no good news there for you.

There’s lies, damn lies, statistics then maps.

Again, this is just a high level observation based on my travels and how spotty T-Mobile coverage is. It has its areas of concentration. I'm not even talking 5G, I would even welcome 3G coverage to be included. Their coverage nationwide is not as represented. I think also from my travels and how often I saw 5G on my AT&T phone that the AT&T map is significantly under-represented. I didn't expect AT&T 5G coverage to be as broad as I observed it to be, but that's beside the point. Moral is as stated above, they are setting an expectation they can't meet. I once had Sprint, it was good for my needs back in the day, I do not think Verizon's coverage is as good as they marketed either. If they don't market it they can't sell it, but someone has to hold companies accountable.

If your Verizon coverage isn’t what you think it should be, you are probably not keeping the string tight enough. :rolleyes: Ours seems to work fine in most places out here in the West.

TJ

Latest resources

Back