Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
You can reserve a spot at select TA and Petro locations by using the reserve it system on the TA Petro website. The nice people at "reserve it" suggested calling the locations to see if there are any RV spots available away from the trucks if idling truck noise is bothersome and you want to talk to the field desk at the location usually option 3 to find out what your options are. Verify first because some locations will not accommodate you in the back. But you can reserve a spot if you want if and it is suggested you go into the back.

Last edited:
Probably wouldn’t be my first choice but nice to have the option.

I generally plan trips around truck stops with specified RV spaces. I have not needed to reserve yet. There is a certain stop I always used. The last time Iwent it was completely full. Fortunately, it was during COVID, when restaurants were closed. I found 4 car spaces and parked diagonally across them. Shhhhhh!! I guess if I ever wanted to stay there again, I might reserve. I just fount an alternative place to stop.

One of the takeaways from my last trip when stopping just for the night is I want something that’s easy to get in and out of. Some park interior roads are narrow and tight and I am fine with leaving the slides in and running off the inverters overnight. I also want a paved or a packed gravel surface to park on if possible.

The truck stop option looks attractive to me for ease of access but others have warned that it’s noisy especially if the stop isn’t large and sleeping amongst idling trucks all night is enough to send you elsewhere. I’ll try it at least once to see if is something worth repeating if there is no other option available.

large, well lit rest stops. Park on the car side. There’s very few cars that come in overnight and you’re away from the idling trucks.

Have done it many times. Even the stops with overnight security. No one has ever said a single word. We park off to the side, put out the FWS and keep to ourselves.

Last edited:
large, well lit rest stops. Park on the car side. There’s very few cars that come in overnight and you’re away from the idling trucks.

Have done it many times. Even the stops with overnight security. No one has ever said a single word. We park off to the side, put out the FWS and keep to ourselves.
Becsreful in NYS. On the thruway, the car side has a weight limit

Becsreful in NYS. On the thruway, the car side has a weight limit
No plans to go through there but yes, if weight limits were posted I would go to the truck side.

Why are there weight limits?

We haven’t used a truck stop for an overnight- yet.
Have used rest areas quite a few times and have always used the truck side. Noticed that some states will have some stops with an RV area, which appears to be quieter.
I don’t mind the idling trucks, barely hear them when we are closed up, and the little noise that seeps in just lulls me to sleep.
Will keep the truck stop reservations in mind. Noticed that feature recently on the TA app.

No plans to go through there but yes, if weight limits were posted I would go to the truck side.

Why are there weight limits?
Probably to keep trucks out, as most nights they are completely full on the truck side. Trucks line up on the entrance and exits and along the rest area path to the car gas pumps.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back