RV Make
Alpinelite
RV Length
26'
TOW/TOAD
2016 Ram 1500
Fulltimer
Yes
For those of you with tag axles I read something that makes me wonder. Have you weighed with the tag up, and is the axle on the ground over weight?

Does the tag come completely off the ground?

Just wondering.

Can't see any reason to weigh with the tag axle up as it is load bearing and part of the equation for setting tire pressures.

Can't see any reason to weigh with the tag axle up as it is load bearing and part of the equation for setting tire pressures.
I agree with @Neal

The reason I ask came from a trucker on the I-35 turnpike. Seem that some truckers raise the tag/extra axles when loading allows to lower axles fees while on the turnpike. .

Guess you can find out, or not find out,, if you could benefit from the practice.

RVs don't normally change their weight too much while traveling.

The reason I ask came from a trucker on the I-35 turnpike. Seem that some truckers raise the tag/extra axles when loading allows to lower axles fees while on the turnpike. .

Guess you can find out, or not find out,, if you could benefit from the practice.
Fascinating. I did not know that they charged by the number of axles with tires on the ground, vs total number of axles on the vehicle. I wonder how they calculate with all of the electronic tolling going on.

I don't think they charge by axles down either. I think the axles in question are for weight bearing use such as dump trucks. I'd think it's more for tire wear concerns than anything else.

Guess what you do is up to you! I would weigh for per axle weight and see if my rig was legal per axle weight. If I was I would not pay extra.

For the record, I have nothing to gain, just passing on information. I don't/won't use toll roads! The argument that I can't visit some locations without them, just means I won't visit.

I don't have tags. I only remembered the conversation after one of you asked about a switch! As a disinterested party I only ask you don't feel above me,and discount what I bring up for your benefit.

Here is a forum discussing the topic:

Toll roads I've traveled on charge by the axle.

Guess what you do is up to you! I would weigh for per axle weight and see if my rig was legal per axle weight. If I was I would not pay extra.

For the record, I have nothing to gain, just passing on information. I don't/won't use toll roads! The argument that I can't visit some locations without them, just means I won't visit.

I don't have tags. I only remembered the conversation after one of you asked about a switch! As a disinterested party I only ask you don't feel above me,and discount what I bring up for your benefit.

Here is a forum discussing the topic:

It seems like that threads general consensus was you pay the same, up or down.

RV's that have lift axles are very different than trucks with lift axles. Many of the trucks lift the axle up high enough to actually see that they are lifted.

RVs on the other hand (except older country coaches) only release the air pressure. The tires are still in contact with the ground, just less weight on them. Its referred to as "tag dump" vs lifting now.

Older CC (possible other brands too) actually lifted them high enough to visibily see the difference.

Latest resources

Back