• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

smoke90

RVF Regular
RV Make
none at the moment
My wife and I went to test drive a Class A gas motorhome as I am concern with the lack of torque climbing pass and even worse going down the mountain.
we took it up I70 from 6000 till 7000ft. Can t really ask to go all the way to the Eisenhower tunnel but this gave us a feeling for the way the new ford V8 and F53 chassis handle and climb.
One of the things is that we will have at least 8 to 10000 lbs more weight in our rig ready to travel.
the one we test drove was a GT3 34’6” with a 228” and 22000 lbs chassis. This is the only one available at the golden location where we can go uphill I70. The one we want is a GT7 40’1” with a 252” and 24000 lbs chassis. I am pretty sure the difference between the two rigs is more than 2000 lbs.
the rig was empty and by experience this at least 1000 lbs of gear, (food, kitchen ustensile, blanket, clothes, etc… )
the gas tank and the water tank were empty. This is another 1000 lbs.
and finally a car to tow behind for another 3500 lbs.

bottom line the class A gas we drove had enough torque and engine brake to handle I70 but how will it be with at least another 7000 lbs.

If you will add 8 to 10,000 lbs in your coach, you aren't going to find one - especially not a gas model. Even on some of the entry level diesels may only have 5k towing capacity, so you are pretty limited in what you can shift into your toad.

If you will add 8 to 10,000 lbs in your coach, you aren't going to find one - especially not a gas model. Even on some of the entry level diesels may only have 5k towing capacity, so you are pretty limited in what you can shift into your toad.
Hello osuallen,

I think you missed my point. The one we tested drive was a GT3 which was at about 18000 lbs.
The GT7 we want to buy has the GCWR at 30,000 and it has a 20500 lbs dry weight.
So the 10,000 lbs difference is right there.
bottom line the test we made was with 18000 lbs while we will be somewhere around 28000 with the same engine.

This is an "FYI", that hopefully may help you in making the proper decision, for your wants & needs!

First...the MAXIMUM GVWR of any Ford F-53 chassis is 26,000#, & GCWR of 30,000# It makes no difference with regard to the "Coach" manufacturer!
Chassis GVWR's vary from about 18,000, to 20,000, 22,000, 24,000, & 26,000 GVWR.
Most RV manufacturer's is going to build on a chassis in that will give you from as low as about 800# to as much as about 4,000# payload
Most will have a towing capacity in the 3,000-4,000# range, for your towed or trailered vehicle.

As an example, my 2020 Newmar Canyon Star "3710", 38' coach, completely loaded with tools, ladders, DI washer, compressor, "stuff:), clothes, food, etc, weighs 25,025#, & is properly distributed, as I had "4 corner" weight done. This leaves a 975# margin from the MAX GVWR of 26,000#.
I tow a 3,400# GMC Terrain, & have a GCWR of 28,425#, leaving about a 1,500#

The coach has been driven from "sea-level" to "11,000'+" of altitude, and has always done an acceptable job going up the mountains. Usually maintaining 35-45 mph. Did quite well on Interstate highway system through Nebraska, ND, SD, Wyoming, Montana, etc.! Common sense & the trans brake work well going "down the mountain", at reasonable speeds.

Best of Luck & hope tis has been helpful!

This is an "FYI", that hopefully may help you in making the proper decision, for your wants & needs!

First...the MAXIMUM GVWR of any Ford F-53 chassis is 26,000#, & GCWR of 30,000# It makes no difference with regard to the "Coach" manufacturer!
Chassis GVWR's vary from about 18,000, to 20,000, 22,000, 24,000, & 26,000 GVWR.
Most RV manufacturer's is going to build on a chassis in that will give you from as low as about 800# to as much as about 4,000# payload
Most will have a towing capacity in the 3,000-4,000# range, for your towed or trailered vehicle.

As an example, my 2020 Newmar Canyon Star "3710", 38' coach, completely loaded with tools, ladders, DI washer, compressor, "stuff:), clothes, food, etc, weighs 25,025#, & is properly distributed, as I had "4 corner" weight done. This leaves a 975# margin from the MAX GVWR of 26,000#.
I tow a 3,400# GMC Terrain, & have a GCWR of 28,425#, leaving about a 1,500#

The coach has been driven from "sea-level" to "11,000'+" of altitude, and has always done an acceptable job going up the mountains. Usually maintaining 35-45 mph. Did quite well on Interstate highway system through Nebraska, ND, SD, Wyoming, Montana, etc.! Common sense & the trans brake work well going "down the mountain", at reasonable speeds.

Best of Luck & hope tis has been helpful!
thank you Jabber Jaw for the details, great info for me as I will be in nearly the same as you in term of weight as you. the GT7 comes with a 24000 lbs GCWR chassis and 30,000 of GCWR
Where I hesitate between a gas and a diesel is the tongue weight. with a Gas MH I will have no choice but to get a new car that I will be able to flat tow. With a diesel I could put our 2023 Honda Pilot on a trailer.
Also my wife wants to keep the Pilot that has 7 seats.

Latest resources

Back