Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2022 GMC Canyon AT4
Fulltimer
No
Texas currently has 76 rest areas designated as safe rest areas. There is an attendant on duty 24 hours/day, security cameras everywhere, wifi, spaces designated for rv's, extra wide diagonal pull-thru spaces, and they are extremely clean. Some may have potable water and a dump station.

While I agree that these are clean, big, and have features for dumping at some, I do not agree that these are safer than others.

The attendants at these are there to clean the bathroom and stay locked in the air-conditioned building watching YouTube or whatever they do to pass time. There are no parking lot security persons on 24x7 like there used to be, and the shenanigans can occur at these just like any other.

Choosing a rest stop that is far from a town makes sense, but whatever you do and wherever you stay, always be aware of your surroundings.

Don't allow yourself to become complacent because the state published a list of saying "nothing has (or rarely has anything) happened here so far".

Thank you for posting this! Stays up to 24 hours allowed it appears.

While my preference is secure campgrounds, a rest stop that is well lit and advertised as secure is better than a truck stop.
Truck stops have all sorts of activities going on that I prefer to avoid including novice drivers that will side swipe you and continue on without a care.

The parking area are very well lite. All the cameras has to be a detergent and the attend was seen several times carrying a radio.

It hasn't happened often, but I've had more problems in rv parks than in rest areas. Ottom line, we are living in evil times and Mr Sig and
Mr Sauer are available if needed.

Latest resources

Back