L884593

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Keystone
RV Model
Hideout
RV Length
wife/I heading to Yellowstone West entrance, next July. Looking for feedback on 'routes taken'. Google maps is pretty consistent thru Laramie, WY, then it kind give 3 options, 1)to jackson , 2)thru Tetons Jackson Hole, and 3)thru Yellowstone itself(which seems to me might be a very slow route). Not that we're in any hurry, although, my recenlty transplanted son to Salt Lake city will be driving up to meet us. Let me know your travels-look forward to hearing back, and as always, THANK YOU for your comments..

I really don't like hauling a heavy load through the Rockies. If you do the small town of Lander has a city park you can spend a night or two in. I am more inclined to go through Nevada and into Idaho. Then back track to the west entrance. Keep in mind that in a normal year going through the park is stop and go. The Tetons national park has a nice RV park in it. reserve a space a lot in advance.

Thank you Sir--i'd prefer not to go thru STOP-GO travel, myself, so will definitely
look to go 'around'.

Yes I would avoid going thru the YNP due to traffic. I do think if your traveling that far you should/would enjoy the Jackson Hole area.

There are some RV parks outside the South Entrance of YNP. Staying there allows easy access to both YNP and Grand Tetons NP plus the Jackson Hole area. As @NWIP pointed out, don't miss Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons.

TJ

Yah, we were going to drive the bike through Yellowstone and were told we might not want to do that because of the Bears. So we went with my brother in his car. I then understood why it was not a good idea to drive the bike through. It was bumper to bumper in both directions. had I wanted to escape on the bike traffic would not allow.

Like others have mentioned there will be lots of traffic in the areas of Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons NP and southern Yellowstone NP for good reasons. There is lots to do (bicycling, hiking, fishing, floating the Snake River, wildlife etc.). If you plan to visit this area then you'll need to have the mindset there will be lots of traffic and travel times will be slow. I would not recommend, when hauling heavy loads, taking route 22 out of Jackson Hole to West Yellowstone. This will take you over Teton Pass which is very steep. I can't recall the grade but it might be 8%.

Like others have mentioned there will be lots of traffic in the areas of Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons NP and southern Yellowstone NP for good reasons. There is lots to do (bicycling, hiking, fishing, floating the Snake River, wildlife etc.). If you plan to visit this area then you'll need to have the mindset there will be lots of traffic and travel times will be slow. I would not recommend, when hauling heavy loads, taking route 22 out of Jackson Hole to West Yellowstone. This will take you over Teton Pass which is very steep. I can't recall the grade but it might be 8%.
Interesting-it appears thy only options, from Jackson-to-Yellowstone west is via 22 ....unless i'm missing it, which is possible. the trailer is a 6400# trailer-not sure what someone considers heavy--my cousin(Idaho) drives a huge motorhome and thinks i shouldve bought a particular 5th wheel(12,500#)....so is 6400# consider 'too heavy" coming thru 22?

BTW-thank you to ALL of you--we have our reservations for late July at Yellowstone west, and were definitely going to take in Grand Tetons, before heading to Idaho(yeah,kinda backwards)....

Latest resources

Back