Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
I’ve never seen traffic this light in LA, never even had an enjoyable traverse through the typically miserable blight, but today was actually fun. Tooling along at about 62 mph, 6 hours from the Salton Sea to Kettleman City (stop over), including the Grapevine and while it wasn't all as light as the pic, it was the easiest trip through the valley ever. What a treat! I usually avoid it at all costs, but took a gamble today and it paid off.
B20D128C-873E-485C-83AB-500BA6170F72.jpeg

I-5 was worse on Sunday. A little more traffic but I’d forgotten how bad the surface was north of somewhere around Kettleman City all the way to Stockton. Big deep potholes too numerous to avoid. And a nice firm headwind to add to the fun. Probably still better than 99 but not much. Next time I might just try putting along on Hwy 33.

Both I 5 and 99 get my vote as worse roads in America. Makes you wonder where all our tax dollars go that Cal Trans has. 101 is better but out of the way for those heading north towards Sac.

Agree on the I5 comments...jaw rattling in stretches. I try to avoid heading South (for us it's 101 to 134 to 210 (or variation), but I'll go in those conditions. Hmmm...only in my dreams would I be so lucky to hit traffic like that 😉

@Rich W. Where did you stay in Kettleman city?

@Rich W. Where did you stay in Kettleman city?
We stayed at the Almond Tree Oasis RV park, exit 325. I can only reccomend it as an overnight if you want to stay in a park rather than Harris or a truck lot. Not exactly a destination resort, but adequate. We wanted hook-ups since it was our last stop on the way home, and its also a nice controlled environment, pull-thru, bikes were safe, good for dogs, quiet, etc.

The sites on the west side of the park are 65‘ and fill up fast, so if you want to make a stop-over here, make a reservation. I think we paid around $65, so a little over priced for what it is, but worth it for us since it met the parameters of the day: quiet, secure, pull-thru, level, full hook-up, dog friendly, etc. Also about 10 miles south of Harris, so no feed-lot smell.

The sites are a little narrow (about 20’), gravel, and while the access roads are paved, they are just wide enough and the turns are a little tight. We had enough room to maneuver in a 35’ coach but it seemed like it would be tight in a 45’, although there were some there, so it obviously works. Also there is fuel, a mini mart, and a Jalisco Grill. We were feeling lazy and ordered take out and enjoyed it for what it was.

Notes:

I saw some wierd ferel dogs in the mini-mart area, either coyotes or a mix of some kind - hard to tell in the dark, but they would no doubt gobble up a small dog if left unattended. We walked the dogs in the orchards and had no issues with them.

A friend‘s car was recently broken into (and they lost a lot of stuff) during the night parked behind his 40’ 5th wheel while they were sleeping in the trailer in one of the public truck lots in the area (don’t know which one), so those are no longer an option for me. At least Harris has constant security patrols. But its I-5 so you get all kinds of travelers.
557FFD80-5AAB-44A4-90BF-D86E059FF8C5.jpeg

69E49E1D-FEC9-45AA-B3F4-BC527B535F2D.jpeg

Latest resources

Back