Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Some of you know I removed the jack knife sofa and put in a 72in updesk which fits perfectly in the space. I also use a Herman Miller Aeron Chair with wheels that brake unless you have weight on them. It's a great office setup but there is a problem. When I got out of the Air Force and continued my software biz I started while in the Air Force I found myself at work when I rolled out of bed and off work when I rolled into bed. This was not a healthy or productive lifestyle or a way to run a biz. Most biz owners know owning and running a biz is life consuming, it's wake to bed time. After six years I got an office which allowed me to separate home from work and my productivity for various reasons doubled or tripled. Long story short, I'm finding myself at this desk far too much while RVing. I'm right back to where I was when working from home, non stop work. My time at the desk does not equate to work done at the desk, productivity has not been a success for me while RVing to date. Some do well working from home, I've always struggled with it. Working from the RV is the working from home dilemma.

This long journey I've been on ends this Friday as I return home. Yes, I'm very much looking forward to being back home. Once I get settled into the transition from home to RV I absolutely love it and don't want to stop. I'm going to have that same emotion when transitioning back to the house as I don't want to stop RVing. It's such a joy and you want to just keep on going. I'm not ready for fulltiming, that may come in 5-10 years, but it's not now. I tell people I RV "most of the time" and I think the several month trip I do each year will be ideal. But back to the topic, there is something I miss about my RV and that's the opposing sofas for a more roomy and social setup and also the ability to watch my big TV on the televator which I simply don't do even with just having to lay the monitor face down.

In the past year I bought a Dell XPS 17 which I really like. I don't need the desktop PC with 27 inch monitor (and Mac mini M1 below the table connected to the same monitor). If I need something bigger or better I may go with an iMac 24 that just came out, we'll see what comes. I'll go back to the dinette which is fine for the focused time to work and not taking away from the coach setup that I really like in this floor plan.

The table and jack knife are a very simple swap, albeit some heavy lifting by myself, but doable. So we'll see if I miss the desk. It's time to go back to the way it was and see how working from the laptop or smaller iMac plays out when I hit the road again in September. We'll see once the jack knife is in and I have to sort out some logistics such as the color laser printer that I need for work works out.

Time to reset...

Change is good ? Not that you've slept on it...but do you like your jackknife sofa? Ours needs replacing and we are considering a pull out air bed. The jackknife is uncomfortable.

Not something I would sleep on or ask anyone to. I have a sofa bed. It’s not even comfortable to sit on but it’s functional for visitors.

I literally sit in the driver’s seat with my laptop perched on the tilted steering wheel

I literally sit in the driver’s seat with my laptop perched on the tilted steering wheel
I've enjoyed sitting in the passenger seat using the fold up desk, I forgot about that. As Elli takes ownership of the driver seat for her lookout position while camping our seat assignments as such would work out well :)

Latest resources

Back