Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
If there were to be a next coach, I'd most likely choose theater seating or recliner over my sofa bed. I don't typically sit in the sofa to watch TV, I lay in it. So if I'm going to be upright of some sort, it would have to be one of the two options.

Theater seating sounds nice and comfortable but is TV focused.

Recliners are more flexible, something easy to swap out, and are more social oriented, ability to converse with others including someone in the other recliner.

What is your opinion on Theater seating vs Recliners and if you have either why did you choose what you have?

After having both, I think I will always go with theater seating in the future. They don't move around when traveling and really lean back for napping.

FLSteve(y)

We chose theater seating because they were more comfortable than the recliners. The added storage in the center compartment is a bonus as well.

If there were to be a next coach, I'd most likely choose theater seating or recliner over my sofa bed. I don't typically sit in the sofa to watch TV, I lay in it. So if I'm going to be upright of some sort, it would have to be one of the two options.

Theater seating sounds nice and comfortable but is TV focused.

Recliners are more flexible, something easy to swap out, and are more social oriented, ability to converse with others including someone in the other recliner.

What is your opinion on Theater seating vs Recliners and if you have either why did you choose what you have?
Swivel recliners… comfy, social

in fact… a rocking swivel recliner is even better (we have on in our house)

We just committed to a 2022 4081 with theater seating. The swivel recliners seem very light weight and they were extremely difficult to recline. It seems like you would need to be large framed and pretty hefty to operate the chair. Also you need to drag the recliner up to and over the slide out floor seal in order to fully recline the back. I can see that being problematic over time. I think we will be glad we went with the theater seating. Can't wait to pick up the coach late next week if all goes as planned. Been 20 plus years since we RVd. Been doing the big boat thing so looking forward to enjoying the parks again.

We have two swivels, reclining rockers with an end table between them with three drawers. We have had theater seating our last coach and prefer the recliners.

Had theater seats in the Montana, I found that I very seldom reclined. I find the couch in the Camelot more comfortable, still need to get an ottoman with storage so I can put my feet up.

We made the change from Villa recliners to theater seating from Bradd & Hall. Several friends had done the same and I was developing comfort-envy. It turns out it was a great decision, wish we had done it sooner.
Once we made the change, we realized just how much we hated the recliners. They would not hold their position when reclined and would swivel as they wanted. Plus, we had to turn them sideways for traveling because they kept rubbing against the valances.

Funny you should ask. I have been going back and forth with this recently. I loved the theater seating in my Forester. I put it in two years before I sold the coach - ouuch!! Anyhow, I have recliners currently in the BayStar.

Advantages:
Swivel and can move them around
Lots of storage around and behind them
Light weight, sparing precious cargo capacity (Theater seating can be over 200 lbs- not an issue for a DP)

Disadvantages:
Recline is all or none (I had electric recline in the Forester, so I could recline at any angle)

Recliners I have are not wall huggers, therefore I have to pull them way out to recline.

So, I am leaning towards putting the recliners in the house and adding the theater seating to the coach, when markets get above where they were.

But honestly, I still am not sure.

Having had a jackknife sofa, I would take either over that, any day.

I have to agree with FL Steve on theater seats next time. We have to put rubber door stops under the recliners to keep them from moving around.

Latest resources

Back