RV Model
Ventana 3407
RV Length
34'10"
TOW/TOAD
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Fulltimer
No
All - was talking to friend and he mentioned lots of thefts of stuff while camping in Thousand Trails Orlando park. We have not experienced this, but mostly do not leave anything out. We keep bay's locked all the time, and always use both locks on doors even walking around park. As a rule, I always set the "night latch"- (used term as kid) when inside. Have any of you experienced this issue.
Questions and I think because I believe some of the below, that could be the reason, however?
1. Is it the caliber of RV'ers has gone down and more less desirable folks now are camping?
2. Is the economy (covid) causing more people to steal?
3. Does it/has it happened more in densely populated areas?
4. Do you camp out or close to cities, in densely packed campgrounds or spaced out parks like Corp of Engineers ones?
5. Weekends or weekdays or it don't matter?

What steps to take to prevent this aside from oblivious ones.

In my 4 years of RV life so far, only had one incident at a campground in the middle of nowhere CO which was kids of long term residents going into basements. Learned the lesson from that to not leave basements unlocked at night, I typically lock the coach when I leave the campground so non issue there. I would "assume" it's a low rate of occurrence and probably associated with the level of campground, i.e. trashy long term resident setup vs. "rv resort" - my guess. You have to wonder how many residents of these long term locations are "on the run" or hiding from their past, have warrants, etc.

Keep your valuable locked up, cars locked...I was at a nice campground in VA Beach VA where someone went into an unlocked car and stole a gun. That is an example of a typical campground, over 1,000 sites, but nothing that would flag my concerns other than a lot of campers. It happens, anywhere and everywhere, and ounce of prevention....

Sad....but the new state of our Country. The only way to protect your "camping stuff" is to put it up each night...Geezzz... The biggest target are the E-bikes and then generators...

Oh, I never leave any weapons in my cars period. It's on me, or locked up secured in the house/Rv period. Lots of stories in Atlanta at fire departments stations, where people breaking into cars of staff, ripping off stuff. As GA law prevents them from carrying into state/county office buildings/doctors offices, etc. They make car gun safes, not sure I want more holes in the floor pan for that, just easier to keep on me and then I got it no mater where. If know going to prohibited place, leave at home and hope for the best.

From what I understand it wasn’t RVers but outsiders who came in on foot stole bikes, got into unlocked cars and stole one car. Problem with vacationing is that many let their guard down. Lock your things up, leave nothing in your car in view. It maybe a pain but many parks, especially around tourist areas like Orlando, are ripe for late night thieves.

I think it depends where the RV park is located. If it's way off the beaten path and the only thing there is an RV park, vs being located in a heavily populated or touristy location. I think 99% or RVers are all good like minded people, but I'm sure all of us have seen a few sketchy ones. I'm more concerned about the local thieves doing some late night RV park shopping. The only theft we have seen was a group came through at 3:00 am and stole a bunch of bikes. No matter where we go though, I still lock my baggage doors, bikes, and throw a cable through anything big and tempting when we leave or go to bed.

From what I understand it wasn’t RVers but outsiders who came in on foot stole bikes, got into unlocked cars and stole one car. Problem with vacationing is that many let their guard down. Lock your things up, leave nothing in your car in view. It maybe a pain but many parks, especially around tourist areas like Orlando, are ripe for late night thieves.
That is what I heard there also - seems they want those fancy new e-bikes. There were hundreds of them in the park. I warned my Sister and BIL about not dropping their guard on their new e-bikes. They have them locked and have alarms on them that are sensitive. Their problem is that the bikes are 65lbs each, so a lot of work to store them in their truck each night. I predict that they'll lose them soon. I've heard best way to secure them is to take the rear wheel off and take the battery out.

The batteries are expensive so yeah makes them hard to resell but still I would lock them up with multiple locks, a tracker device and loud Alarms. The harder they are to steal thieves will move on to something easier. Recording serial number and pictures might help to get it back.

In my 4 years of RV life so far, only had one incident at a campground in the middle of nowhere CO which was kids of long term residents going into basements. Learned the lesson from that to not leave basements unlocked at night, I typically lock the coach when I leave the campground so non issue there. I would "assume" it's a low rate of occurrence and probably associated with the level of campground, i.e. trashy long term resident setup vs. "rv resort" - my guess. You have to wonder how many residents of these long term locations are "on the run" or hiding from their past, have warrants, etc.

Keep your valuable locked up, cars locked...I was at a nice campground in VA Beach VA where someone went into an unlocked car and stole a gun. That is an example of a typical campground, over 1,000 sites, but nothing that would flag my concerns other than a lot of campers. It happens, anywhere and everywhere, and ounce of prevention....
If I woke up in the middle of the night and found someone stealing stuff from the basement of my RV it would be a bad night for them. Man I hate a thief!

Reason # 114 not to be a member of Thousand Trails.

Latest resources

Back