Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Now that portable thermal imaging tools are reasonably available, there has been a number of uses "discovered" that makes them an indispensable Bit of Kit, as they say in the UK.

Why do I need one and What do you use it for you ask?
Some simple uses:

At a fuel stop you can scan the wheel hubs and brakes for indications of overheating (bad bearing or "draggy" brakes),
Scan the electrical panel and wire connections for overheating, or anywhere that heat differentials might indicate an issue.
Looking for a bad fuse? Whip out the thermal camera, energize the fuse panel and the circuit in question, if the fuse is cold, it is not flowing power.

As I research I find more uses for a thermal tool. Currently use a cheapo Chinese one but am considering stepping up to a more professional tool like this as more uses come to light...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D3YC5CW/?tag=rvf01-20

You can do these things with a no touch IR thermometer (for checking for a fever). Much cheaper. I do this all of the time.

When I first got it I was alarmed at a rest area, when it said my tires were at 112 deg F. So I checked the 18-wheeler next to me - 118 deg F. Relieved - normal. It also helped with a TPMS false alarm.

You can do these things with a no touch IR thermometer (for checking for a fever). Much cheaper. I do this all of the time.

When I first got it I was alarmed at a rest area, when it said my tires were at 112 deg F. So I checked the 18-wheeler next to me - 118 deg F. Relieved - normal. It also helped with a TPMS false alarm.
Yes, agreed. You are correct. I currently use a cheap Temperature Gun, Enno. As long as the range of temps you are interested in can be detected, a simple Temp Gun can be used.

My interest in the FLIR was the wide scan picture (for convenience and when scanning to point up unexpected hot spots), accuracy, and quality build.

If you do not want another tool, you can even get an attachment and App for your Cell Phone to display Long wave Infrared. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0728C7KND/?tag=rvf01-20

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back