Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

camckee

RVF Newbee
I have a Dometic 3316250.700 Single Zone CT Cool/Furnace Thermostat, what it would do was keep cycling, as if one was pushing the mode button even though no was touching it. So I took it off the wall and out of the case and found a nice home of bugs. I disconnect the 3 wires on the circut board (green, pinkish, and read) wiped down the board with a baby wipe. Waited about 20 min and but it back together, however no it dont work at all. I have little knowledge on this matter, and was wondering what my next should be. The wire are in the exact same place as the was when i removed them and there was signs of life when putting the wires back in the slot. Went to turn the breaker back on and now the theromstat dont show any, and has not done anything in the last 30 min or so. Thoughts/opinions will be greatly apprieciated. Thank you.

You need to test wire for 12 volts leading to the thermostat. Should be the red wire coming in and green ground wire. Sounds like it was working before you tried to clean up but make sure you have the 12 volts.

You need to test wire for 12 volts leading to the thermostat. Should be the red wire coming in and green ground wire. Sounds like it was working before you tried to clean up but make sure you have the 12 volts.
if i used the multimeter correctly this is the reading it gives me. i have an em830 digital multimeter

Attachments

• air.jpg
    air.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 15
switch the meter over to DC volts and put it on 20, and see what you get.

switch the meter over to DC volts and put it on 20, and see what you get.
after some research on how to use this multimeter i realized i had the wrong setting i think i got the right one now. sorry about that, when turned down to 20 it reads 12.90 (pic below is 200)

Attachments

• air.jpg
    air.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 10
So since you have power, its probably time for a new thermostat. Those t-stats are prone to failure anyway and they are cheap. But first, check your manual for a “factory re-set” option and if its is possible, try that before continuing. Chances are l just tell you to have it serviced by a qualified technician.

You might be able to find the specs for bench testing a 3-wire RV t-stat, but its probably not worth the effort.

You might also research compatible thermostats that are more reliable. The CT (capacitive touch) design is kind of dumb for an RV and the cause for most of these failures.

So since you have power, its probably time for a new thermostat. Those t-stats are prone to failure anyway and they are cheap. You might be able to find the specs for bench testing a 3-wire RV t-stat, but its probably not worth the effort.
Thank you. I'll look into a new theromstat, if I wanted to change the brand what things would i need to know, I really dont like this kind of thermostat, it is very touchy.

I did some hunting around and found the one below. Its a GE 3 wire RV thermostat. Might be an improvement. I dont know anything about it but it does have actual buttons instead of the CT controls, so it shouldn't be so”touchy”. It also says its compatible with Dometic, Coleman, and Atwood, but you’d want to make sure its compatiblemwith your model.

Installation manual:

GE page:

Another supplier:

Latest resources

Back