Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Thinking of carrying a spare DEF head?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I don't recommend it! For those following the DEF head(er) crisis you may think you should carry a spare DEF head(er). As I recently discussed with someone else, I don't think it's a good idea. If you're in a location where one can be installed, then you're likely in a location where one can be shipped and apparently it's required to be installed by a Cummins certified tech. But the real reason is that vendor(s) continue to try to figure out the sensor and have been coming out with new releases to try and solve the ongoing issues which seems to have been going on for around 4-5 years. So if you spend the $1K+ to buy a spare DEF head(er) (latest I hear is $1325) and it's GEN X for example, and in a year or two you have your DEF head(er) go out, do you want to use your GEN X which is "known bad" (obsolete) and I'm sure you'd rather have the latest installed at the time of the incident. Think hard before ordering a spare DEF head(er) when you can get one due to supply issues. I think it's a bad idea. My $.02.

Last edited:
@Neal ... thanks for this post. I have been trying to keep up with all this and just had a few comments/questions:
  • Is this more of a Spartan issue vs. a Freightliner issue as to having the problem and then getting a new part? (I have a FL).
  • Not sure what I can do to avoid it other than just parking the coach and letting it sit until parts are back in stock. We are currently on the road now and I am starting to think "is it my time" ever time we head out. I do keep the engine running during fuel stops.
  • I guess if we do get the red light all we can do is try and get to a safe place to stop the coach and hope we can still get a new head. Kind of like the @ARD situation out west.
But for now ... all appears to be good so I am not slowing down yet.

FLSteve

@FLSteve I'm not the expert on this but I've been reading posts by those affected and also posts by @Brett Davis of @NIRVC who did some internal research to get real numbers. I'll leave it to others to draw their conclusions but I personally am not worried about this situation nor will I change where I get my DEF or letting the tank run down to 1/2 before refilling which is when I add DEF. There is so much hysteria going on over this it's a shame because no one knows the facts of what's causing the failures of those affected.

@FLSteve , like @Neal , I am no expert either, but everything I have read ( a lot) indicates there is far less cause for concern with a FL chassis. FL isn’t immune, but the overwhelming majority of failed DEF heads are on Spartans. FL uses a different DEF head, which they claim was developed by them and proprietary. I am not changing any plans nor anything I am doing to manage my DEF consumption.

I have thought about having a spare when the stock is replenished. As far as it’s supposed to be installed by authorized Cummins people, I’ll find one locally. I full time and sitting in one spot until there are spares isn’t part of my plan, I’ll take my chances.

@FLSteve I'm not the expert on this but I've been reading posts by those affected and also posts by @Brett Davis of @NIRVC who did some internal research to get real numbers. I'll leave it to others to draw their conclusions but I personally am not worried about this situation nor will I change where I get my DEF or letting the tank run down to 1/2 before refilling which is when I add DEF. There is so much hysteria going on over this it's a shame because no one knows the facts of what's causing the failures of those affected.
Did I miss a link to Brett Davis’ post on the DEF “real numbers” he found? I would certainly like to see them and get a better handle on the DEF head situation.

TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the problem appeared on 2016 and newer models?

Thanks to all for your feedback ... I now have my confidence back so it's peddle down! Reading Brett Davis's "by the number facts" also helped.

FLSteve

Someone asked if Big Trucks are having DEF issues as well. I don't have numbers, but was listening to a driver giving adviice to those looking to get started in trucking or looking to purchase a truck as a new OO. His suggestion was a pre-DEF truck to avoid the higher maintenance costs associated with all of the DEF issues. DEF - another great mandated fix which causes more headache and expense for those forced to use it.

Latest resources

Back