Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
MY*JLUR has come down with severe death wobble after a recent road trip.

I went thru the checklist many times and could not find a failed component.

The death wobble is so bad that any bump at 40mph sets it off, so the jeep was not safe to tow or drive.

I finally discovered the cause which is an expensive one. The lift kit I installed uses brackets to relocate the upper and lower control arms. The metal of these brackets has fatigued to the point that it is flexing. Closer examination shows that it won't take much more before it completely separates.

So I am removing the Maximus 3 geo lift and replacing it with Metal Cloak Game Changer. This is all new control arms, track bars, drag link, tie rod end, springs, and shocks. I am also doing the ball joints and axle shafts.

Death wobble occurs around 40sec in video. This was at 40mph

Glad you are ok. Death wobble almost killed me on a motorcycle when I was young. I had no idea what was happening. The bike was completely demolished and I will bear the scares for life.

I first noticed it on the highway in Illinois. I was doing 30moh, in 4wd, driving in heavy snow and ice.

I wrote it off as build up, as it was more of a shimmy then.

Got back to Texas, and pulled the front end apart, retorqued, rebalanced tires and realigned. It was worse.

I could only imagine what it would be like behind the motorhome, where I might miss it.

Will be happy to get this fixed before my summer travels begin.

death will GIF

Mine was much more violent...due to flexing in the brackets. A bracket failure is an instant axle detachment. Not good

So I am removing the Maximus 3 geo lift and replacing it with Metal Cloak Game Changer. This is all new control arms, track bars, drag link, tie rod end, springs, and shocks. I am also doing the ball joints and axle shafts.

After building your Jeep, that's disappointing I'm sure. I doubt you'll have any problem selling the Maximus 3. Obviously at a loss, but something is better than nothing.

For what it's worth, I have the Metal Cloak Game Changer 3.5" lift on my 2016 and it's been awesome both on the road and off. I made the mistake of adding a Steer Smarts setup as well, and in my opinion, just wasted money. Others swear by it, but I saw little or no benefit. Would have rather used the money to make changes to support 37's.

I think you'll be happy with the Game Changer.

After building your Jeep, that's disappointing I'm sure. I doubt you'll have any problem selling the Maximus 3. Obviously at a loss, but something is better than nothing.

For what it's worth, I have the Metal Cloak Game Changer 3.5" lift on my 2016 and it's been awesome both on the road and off. I made the mistake of adding a Steer Smarts setup as well, and in my opinion, just wasted money. Others swear by it, but I saw little or no benefit. Would have rather used the money to make changes to support 37's.

I think you'll be happy with the Game Changer.
Yeah , i have the steermarts top mount that I am removing too.

What really hurts is the Falcon Sp2 3.3 won't be a good match for the MC, so those are being replaced too.

Buying stuff twice sucks. Such is life with a jeep.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back