Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
When you know you know...as I was wondering when the time would be to do this. Over 5 years with these flooded lead acid batteries. While I have 1800W solar, I rarely use it and my boondocking at the EAA AirVenture airshow worked great last July. Last night at my Harvest Hosts I had a significant SOC drop, woke up to 64%. I didn't see where I was at gen stop / bed time 10 PM last night. I did leave my PC running which does have a 850W power supply in it but that shouldn't have caused this much drop, I don't think. It is time for water to be added, been meaning to service the batteries, but it's time. Winter project will be battery replacement, had Freightliner Custom Chassis do the chassis batteries last years' visit just to be safe. I'll probably go with AGM's and nag @Chuggs again, it's been a while. Not sure I'm ready for Lithium's but will review and see how @Richpatty's are working out. As I'm on shore power 99% of my RV time the house batteries haven't been needed much but that may change as I'm planning on longer trips starting next year to dabble into near fulltiming mode and when out west hitting more BLM lands, doing Quartzsite again, etc. and putting the solar to good use.

Which ones? I'll be looking for Black Friday sales as I think that's how @Richpatty captured them. My only concern is the down line items affected such as the BIM? I don't want to be fighting the system but if people have it figured out I'd entertain it.

Looking at my Victron VRM data it appears I had a constant 31A draw. I have to think where that draw is coming from. Refer is on, Dometic cooler in basement, and computer. Home theater stuff was powered off as I know that's always a big drain. No heating/cooling was on, windows were open.

I am not familiar with your coach systems as far as battery maintenance. In the solar class here at the NRVTA we used the batteries being built by the Head Tech at the school Tod Henson. His are almost 300 Amp hour batteries but are pricey. The plus to his are they can be taken apart and fixed if there is a bad cell. I was not sold on lithium until I saw the numbers they produce and the anticipated lifetime of them. As I said, it it worth it if you are going to use them. None of the Lithium's are cheap, and they require a different charger. The batteries have their own management system built into them. In the fiver we did the install in, the lead acid batteries stayed in place and we ran the Victron system into the ATS, like a generator install.
Tod's batteries are about $1700 each, they fit in the footprint of a 27 series battery, They are a bit taller then a 27. Again, serviceable and powerful.
The install we participated in had almost 3000W on the roof and 8 of Tod's batteries. They can run everything in that monstrous Solitude.

Which ones? I'll be looking for Black Friday sales as I think that's how @Richpatty captured them. My only concern is the down line items affected such as the BIM? I don't want to be fighting the system but if people have it figured out I'd entertain it.

When we bought our coach, it already had lithium installed by the prior owner.
They had to install a different battery charger to output the slightly higher voltage for the lithium charging.
After we purchased the Coach I changed out the BIM as it wasn’t functioning properly with the lithium. That was a pretty simple swap and now the engine charges the batteries while going down the road.

Hi Neal.

I do like the lithiums even though I have not been able to really test them out as we just don’t get out as much as we would like. I have “tested” them while parked in full hookups and I really like the way they perform. I would still do it again…even if you don’t boondock that often. Here are my thoughts:
  • I really like that they take a charge so quickly, especially with the solar. This is also helpful when charging from generator as it cuts down the generator run time to get charged back up.
  • No more corrosion! I know AGMs probably won’t either, but I like the idea of no water in my batteries to think about.
  • Yea, they are pricey, but they should last a very long time. If you figure the lifetime and usable capacity vs AGM, they are competitive.
  • Less weight! I replaced my 8 LA with 8 lithiums and cut the weight in half while doubling the usable capacity.
  • And if you really want to go apples-to-apples with capacity, you really only have to get 400ah of lithium to replace you LA batteries.
  • I have found that I no longer have to leave the magnum charger on at home…as the lithiums do not discharge very much at all, even with the slight vampire draw. I do put the chassis batteries on trickle charge after a few weeks, but that is a very low draw. I have even thought of using a separate small inverter from the lithiums to run the trickle charger…. This way the RV would not have to be plugged in but everything would be charged. Have not tried that yet.
  • They work real well when running the one AC unit from the inverter and I don’t have to worry about voltage sag.
  • I found the cabling to be much simpler….since the lithiums are 12v. It really simplified it all in my mind.
  • If you do bookdock, your solar paired with the lithiums is a really sweet setup. Especially if you want to start going to Harvest Hosts or Bookndockers Welcome spots…
  • Lastly, I think they are really cool…. :)
I would change your BIM to head off potential issues with the alternator. Not hard to do.

And yes, I did get mine in CyberMonday for only $709 a piece. Hopefully they repeat that again this year.

Of course this is all from my point of view and I am sure that others will differing opinions.

Hope this helps.
Rich

FYI….Here was my thread on my lithium install….

Thanks @Richpatty - which model battery did you get? I haven't looked at the above thread yet, just settled into a new CG.

As to my discharge last night and the "when you know you know" is now an "I'm not sure I know." If my amp draw is in fact 31A continuous then the SOC this morning was expected. It's not a battery issue, it's a draw issue, and I have to figure out what's calling for the 31A's and I think it's the computer setup (2 computers, switches, NAS, monitor) etc. I turn all this off when boondocking but didn't this time. I did not have issues at the airshow in July. But the time is coming near and I'll watch the sales. I'd rather go smaller first, i.e. try the 400aH and then add if needed. I'd hate to waste money just throwing batteries in when they may not be needed. Then again as my mirror shows I'm a man of excess, so then there's that!

Which BIM did you use by the way? Again, I need to read your thread if all that's documented.

Hi Neal,

I bought the GC2 drop in replacement…

And I purchased/installed the Precision circuit Li-BIM.

Rich

Latest resources

Back