Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
A recent discussion regarding a member's struggles selling their RV gave me the idea that this may be a good discussion for those that have gone through the process of selling their RV to share the experience, lend any tips, etc. Feel free to share your RV sale story from where you listed your RV, how you priced it for sale, how the final sale price compared, time frame to sell, experiences with prospective buyers, and how you captured the final sale. Let's share the wealth of knowledge for those of you that have gone through this to help those that are or will go through it.

Template if desired:
  • Type of RV sold
  • Places listed
  • How I came up with the price
  • Difference in actual sale price from listing
  • How to identify serious buyers
  • Time it took to sell
  • General tips on the process

Having bought and sold many classic cars, which like an RV is a high value toy thats purely a luxuary and not a necessity, here is my take:

Before going any furthur, decide what is the minimum amount of money you are willing to accept for your RV. If you are upside down on a loan, unrealistic on your MHs value or it is a buyers market, now may not be the time to sell. Current value has nothing to do with what you owe, how much you paid or what anyone else is asking for a similiar RV.

Are you a salesman? If you are not comfortable with being a salesman or you dont have time to be a salesman, you should consider letting someone else handle the process for you.

Vetting potential buyers: Is this a cash or financed sale? The higher the value, the smaller the pool of potential buyers. If you cant prove to me that you have funding for the purchase, Im not going to waste my time on you. I also ask to speak with the spouse. If its a joint account or two signatures on a loan, Im talking with both people before I get serious about your ability and commitment to the purchase.

Your Ad: As a RV owner, you know what a potential buyer wants to know, so put that in your ad. A good ad will draw in the right buyer and weed out the wrong buyer. A poor ad will result in endless Q&A exchanges, irrevelent questions and price negotiations before the buyer even looks at the RV. Your ad needs to make the buyer believe that you have exactly what they are looking for. As an example, I bet 1 out of 10 RV ads has a picture of the roof and less than that even mentions the roof. If tires are a $3500 expense, wouldnt a buyer want to know the age and condition of the tires?

Price: If you want top dollar, your RV needs to be in top condition. Top condition means everything works as it should, all maintenence up to date and any wear items have useful life left. A 10+ year old MH will require maintenence on the chassis and engine. Belts, hoses, bushings, shocks, fluids are all due to be replaced if they have not been replaced. Starting and house batteries should have useful life left. Determing a fair price is a tough. I see few RV ads where the seller has done their homework and priced their RV accordingly.

Honesty: You are honest or you are not. Do you disclose the good, the bad and the ugly or do you misrepresent the condition of your RV? Only you can answer that question.

• Type of RV sold: 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 3778
  • Places listed: RVTrader.com Only one I used! I would not mess with these other companies, most are not reputable!
  • How I came up with the price: Researched prices for "comparable" coaches. Since mine was in "excellent" shape, priced it a bit towards the high end, but not the very top asking prices.
  • Presentation: Used the "Best Pkg" @ $199. Gets more exposure, & pushed to the top of the category ! PICTURES! Use all 50 available in that package.
  • Description: Give a thorough description of condition(good or bad), improvements, tire date codes, roof condition, appliances, etc. Make sure it is immaculately CLEAN & SHINY!
  • Difference in actual sale price from listing: Sale price was $4,000 less than "asking price"! Be prepared for some negotiation. Build in a $$$ margin from which to negotiate.
  • How to identify serious buyers: Gave short responses to inquiries. Create a desire for them to ask questions. And if they proceed, ask leading questions as to gain info as legitimate buyer!
  • Time it took to sell: I think it took 39 days.
  • General tips on the process: I watched the number of "views" & the number of "saves", which gives a good idea as to whether you're getting "max exposure"!
  • Inquiries: Do not give phone number until after you have had at least 2-3 email inquiries from the prospect. Helps weed out tire kickers & scammers.
  • Replies to Inquiries: Short & simple. "Still available", "Paying cash"," When do you want to come see it?" "First time buyer" Never imply that it needs to be sold!
  • Phone Interview: Do an extensive phone interview & discussion with the prospect! Ask "leading questions"! Get them to talking, you will find out a lot, by listening! Trust you Gut!

Latest resources

Back