Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

I26p

RVF Regular
I found many threads but none recent. Am looking to buy tires for 2012 Winnebago 26P class A. Just purchased this rv and it has original tires with 32k miles. they look fine but I know they need to be replaced. my local favorite tire dealer suggested Kuhmo KRS03 on the low price point $1500 or Michelin for $2500. I figure to maybe put 10-15k miles on this rv in the next 5 years when the tires would need to be replaced again. so not worried about tire wear at all. My local rv mechanic says he doesnt buy premium tires for his rv as they age out before wear out. Not sure i want to buy cheap tires if they dont ride well. Anyone have experience with Kuhmo tires? Any suggestions? Would prefer not to pay a premium for the brand name if they are no better than the less expensive. Toyo? Firestone? Goodyear? Also, i read to buy "all position" tires, most say they are steer tires. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I used to sell International and Ford chassis to the wrecker industry for 15 years. I sold about 2500-3000 chassis per year. We used 245/70R19.5 tires. Let me tell you that 19.5" tires are hard to mount and balance for some reason. We never had any trouble with 22.5" tires but it got so bad there for a while with the 19.5" tires bouncing up and down that I switched from Goodyear to Michelin when I ordered the trucks. Goodyear sent several management people to see me after I took 18,000 tire orders away from them!!! We found all sorts of issues but the main one was a radial run-out issue where the tire simply isn't round after it's mounted on the wheel. You can try to balance the tire until you are blue in the face and it won't help. So, keep this in mind if you have a vibration in your new tires. If you get your new tires mounted and have problems that the tire store can't fix let me know. Most tire stores are clueless about these issues. Trust me I know!!

As far as brands I think they are all about the same. In your application I would not spend the extra money to get the premium brands. You need a highway tread, not a traction tread, unless you go off road with your RV.

I ended up buying the Kuhmo tires. Tire shop really really talked them up, and this particular tire shop stands by their tires. the 19.5s are made in South Korea, not china. They are straight rib all position tires. Over the next 5 years I will put 10-15k miles so not worried about longevity. So far they seem to ride nice, though I only drove 15 miles on them. Will update this post after my next trip.

I think you are talking about Kumho tires, not Kuhmo. Kumho does have tire plants in South Korea, as well as Vietnam, China and…wait for it…the United States (Macon, GA). From what I’ve heard, they are a generally serviceable tire in the mid-price range. So, you are probably OK for the use you intend to put them to.

That said, I remember an experienced racer tell me; “Tires are the only thing that glues you to the track, so use the best ones you can find.” I have always followed that advice and would likely go for the Michelins. But that’s just me.

TJ

I found many threads but none recent. Am looking to buy tires for 2012 Winnebago 26P class A. Just purchased this rv and it has original tires with 32k miles. they look fine but I know they need to be replaced. my local favorite tire dealer suggested Kuhmo KRS03 on the low price point $1500 or Michelin for $2500. I figure to maybe put 10-15k miles on this rv in the next 5 years when the tires would need to be replaced again. so not worried about tire wear at all. My local rv mechanic says he doesnt buy premium tires for his rv as they age out before wear out. Not sure i want to buy cheap tires if they dont ride well. Anyone have experience with Kuhmo tires? Any suggestions? Would prefer not to pay a premium for the brand name if they are no better than the less expensive. Toyo? Firestone? Goodyear? Also, i read to buy "all position" tires, most say they are steer tires. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Are you referring to each tire being 1500 to $2500 a piece???

I think you are talking about Kumho tires, not Kuhmo. Kumho does have tire plants in South Korea, as well as Vietnam, China and…wait for it…the United States (Macon, GA). From what I’ve heard, they are a generally serviceable tire in the mid-price range. So, you are probably OK for the use you intend to put them to.

That said, I remember an experienced racer tell me; “Tires are the only thing that glues you to the track, so use the best ones you can find.” I have always followed that advice and would likely go for the Michelins. But that’s just me.

TJ
On cars yes. On MH’s hat sit for six to seven months a year, the sidewalls of the Michelins seem to crack.

Latest resources

Back